Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I worked with HP. Removed RAM, SDD, both batteries... nothing worked. You just can't get past the error to the BIOS to reset it. My device was under warranty so I sent it back in and they swapped out the system board. This is fine for devices under warranty yet but no luck for those beyond their warranty period but still a viable device. I'm just updating this thread because I found it very frustrating that no one has posted a resolution to their stories (on this page or the many others). 

HP Recommended

Before I would give up, I wanted to try Restoring BIOS from USB drive. The instruction was to press and hold Windows Button and B Key together when you power the computer. Did not work.

The only thing I did not do myself was to try to inserting a brand new SSD hard drive stick and power on. Did anyone try it? In 2 other sites' posts, I read they were successful to reinstall Windows 10. But if HP support replaces the motherboard for this issue, then I am not so convinced to try this. I would appreciate if someone can let us know about trying a new hard drive. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I did try a new SSD and had no luck. I didn't attempt to flash the BIOS only because i know USB boot was turned off and I couldn't get into the BIOS to turn that feature on. Windows key and B did not work for me either.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing this. I wanted to try a new SSD as I wanted to save company $$ from getting a new device. but I concluded that I did everything I could to resolve the issue, and nothing worked to save this HP device. I am going to do a inventory of HP machines, and make sure Sure Start is turned off. And will buy/recommend only Dell devices from now on.

HP Recommended

Using an empty SSD or boot disk did not help. Problem came with a recent windows update and activating Secure Boot and Surestart.

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank240, May I ask the model# of your affected device? I found a list of devices for this issue HP Published back in Dec 2020. We have like 20 HP Elitedesk mini desktops in office, and they are not on the list. For these devices, I think I am safe.  

And I have not seen updated list of the devices by HP after Dec 8 2020. My first plan was to get a list of HP computers, and turn off Sure Start, but with this list, I am thinking it would be more reasonable to turn off Sure Start only on the devices that are found in the affected list.

Since you said yours were under warranty, if your model was found in the list, then I would fee safer to go with the list. but if your model is not found in the list, and still had the issue, I would need to consider to turn off Sure Start on all HP devices regardless of the models. 

If you can share your model#, I would appreciate it greatly.

The device I just retired was HP Elitebook 840 G5.

The list of the affected list is found here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06979955

Thank you very much. Ethan

HP Recommended

I do not think this is the issue or just similar.

For prevention i would do the deactivation of surestart and the key handling of Secureboot. First if the problem was known in 2020 why the current newest bios does not solve it? Is there an actual listing, mine is Elitebook 830 G5. Secondly why Microsoft knowing this issue notnblocked such change for HP devices?

The described steps not doable, as surestart reboots the computer and shows the same error message. Thus the Boot menu and Bios settings (or bios downgrade /recovery ) not doable.

HP Recommended

My device was on the list... HP ZBook 14u G6. It has a purchase date of 08/2022

HP Recommended

THank you for the info. It was good that you got the older model recently that it was under warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.