Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 610
Ubuntu LTS

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on a TouchSmart 610 (side note – I was unable to find many drivers which worked for it). I then installed Ubuntu 21.04 (latest version, not LTS) and set it to dual boot with Windows. After installing I faced a playback issue while attempting to play a video on YouTube and subsequently turned the computer off with the power button. The next time I turned it on the fan responded but the screen remained black.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@willthorpe04 -- The next time I turned it on the fan responded but the screen remained black.

When you power-on the computer, it first runs the POST (Power On Self Test), which checks the hardware, including the disk-drive. If the disk-drive does not respond, the POST does not complete, and your screen will stay "dark". Or, there might be some other hardware problem (power-supply, motherboard, CPU, graphics adapter) that causes the POST to _not_ complete.

Try disconnecting the power & data cables from your disk-drive, and power-on your computer, to see if the POST successfully completes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@willthorpe04 - something to try:

1. power-off the computer
  2. disconnect the power-cord (or disconnect the external power-adapter)
  3. press the ON/OFF button, to drain any residual electrical power
  4. reconnect the power-cord, or reconnect the external power-adapter
  5. press the ON/OFF button, to see if the computer will power-on, and run the POST (Power On Self Test). The screen will stay dark until the POST successfully completes. Does anything appear on the screen, such as "press ESC for options" ?

Tell us the result.

HP Recommended

I've attempted this several times to no avail. The screen stays blank and it seems the computer shuts down eventually (I could be wrong on the last point, I only noticed that when I attempted it just now)

HP Recommended

@willthorpe04 -- one of your computer's components has failed:

• power-supply (it outputs several different voltages. Maybe, only a partial failure.)
  • motherboard
  • processor

For an All-In-One computer, replacing the motherboard or the processor is very expensive -- hundreds of dollars. 

If you have an external power-supply, you are looking at $50 to $100 to replace it.

Seek help from a qualified computer technician.

Probably, your disk-drive is 100% OK. It can be extracted from the computer, and you can copy all your personal files from it.

HP Recommended

Could it be that the disk drive is the issue? Before I wiped the pre-existing copy of Windows 7 (the computer was given to me in working, albeit slow, condition) I encountered an error while trying to partition the disk and had to run chkdsk on startup. Later I wiped the drive to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 (I had issues installing drivers too, not sure if this is related or if the drivers were simply not a match) and finally I partitioned the drive from the Ubuntu installer to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.

HP Recommended

@willthorpe04 -- The next time I turned it on the fan responded but the screen remained black.

When you power-on the computer, it first runs the POST (Power On Self Test), which checks the hardware, including the disk-drive. If the disk-drive does not respond, the POST does not complete, and your screen will stay "dark". Or, there might be some other hardware problem (power-supply, motherboard, CPU, graphics adapter) that causes the POST to _not_ complete.

Try disconnecting the power & data cables from your disk-drive, and power-on your computer, to see if the POST successfully completes.

HP Recommended

I removed the hard disk and unfortunately the issue still persists. If there’s nothing else I can do I’ll have the unit looked at. Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@willthorpe04 -- You're welcome.

Within this forum, please click the "Thumbs Up" icon for any response that was helpful.

Also, click "Accept As Solution" to indicate that you don't need any further assistance with your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.