Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RockDoctor
Level 3
22 16 1 8
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP elite desk 800 g2 mini doesnt detect efi partition on external USB hard drive

HP Recommended
elite desk 800 g2
Linux

Trying to write a boot entry to NVRAM to boot from USB hard drive

My hardware:

Type: Desktop System: HP product: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W

Mobo: HP model: 8055 v: KBC Version 05.39 serial: <filter> UEFI: HP v: N21 Ver. 02.49 date: 07/13/2020

Local Storage: total: 2.05 TiB used: 924.81 GiB (44.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingfast model: N/A size: 238.47 GiB temp: 33 C
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: External USB 3.0 size: 1.82 TiB

Problem: Upon booting, the computer does not detect the efi partition on the USB drive. The USB HDD was detected and booted without issue on my old computer - that computer died which is why I bought this one. I've tried to write an appopriate entry to the NVRAM using efibootmgr. That entry appears to be written in /sys/firmware/efi/efivars, but it is apparently not being written to the NVRAM and is gone upon rebooting.

=========================

Update (10-02-2020): Not exactly solved, but was able to work around the problem as described in the following link https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/HP-product-HP-EliteDesk-800-G2-...

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation