Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

The problem is on HP laption, Gaming Pavilion 15, with Nvidia 1650 and intel i7, if needed. BIOS setup: Legacy boot enabled, (I tried to disable it after the problem)

I made a USB with windows 10 ISO on it, fat32 and NTFS on it. On FAT32 there are all folders and files from the ISO, except the sources. Manually created it, and put only boot.win on it. On the NTFS partition did copy all the stuff. This setup would work just fine before couple of months, but now, on startup pressing the usual F9 and choosing the USB (Toshiba, 32gb) the screen went black, with a line (dash?) blinking on the top left corner. And so on.., nothing happened. I also tried on the same flash booting win 8.1 ISO, but got the same problem. On another USB (SanDisk, 64gb) I format a partition exFat and copy all folders from the win 10 ISO booted then, but nothing new has happened. I also tried the same with win 11 iso, but.. the same blank screen. Currently I have a dual boot system with Manjaro Linux and Pop Os Linux, they work as they should. On this laptop (and others) I have booted a lot of operating systems, including 5+ times windows 10 with the same partitions on usb, but this is the first time things don't work.

All thoughts would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

John

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@johnsheppard -- I suspect that the motherboard can ONLY read from a "FAT32" partition, not from NTFS nor from "exFAT", and that there should be EXACTLY ONE partition on the 64GB USB device.

If you downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, the USB device should be formatted/loaded using the above specifications.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.