2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP z230 SFF beeps 5 times and blinks red light

HP Recommended
HP Z230 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Fiance's computer was running fine on with google open and it just black screened and shut down and started beeping. Now it beeps whenever I try to boot it up. I don't have any compatible RAM to test with it, but I did try and remove one RAM stick at a time and the same thing occurred, 5 beeps and a blinking red light

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04658261

DEAD PC:

page 93 states bad DIMM Ram.  so test them all 1 by 1.  ( one must be good, one can hope, and expect)

7 year old PC check the RTC coin cell battery , below 2.9vdc is bad, 3.3v par.

if the coin fails the beep code might lie to you , so we check MR coin first. (voltmeter any)

did you do a zero power reset yet,?

is still dead,   strip PC down to minimum system. and retest it, 

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04658261

DEAD PC:

page 93 states bad DIMM Ram.  so test them all 1 by 1.  ( one must be good, one can hope, and expect)

7 year old PC check the RTC coin cell battery , below 2.9vdc is bad, 3.3v par.

if the coin fails the beep code might lie to you , so we check MR coin first. (voltmeter any)

did you do a zero power reset yet,?

is still dead,   strip PC down to minimum system. and retest it, 

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

TadaKitty
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did test the RAM one at a time. Will have to test the battery at the beginning of the month.

Edit: Just tested the RTC coin cell battery by swapping it out and it booted up just fine, so here's to hoping that was the only issue

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation