Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE-210f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC was left on during the day and when I came home it was powered off.  I attempted to power it on but nothing - no fans, spinning up, beeps, alerts or display on the screen.  I've checked all connections - power, on/off button, etc.  There is a green LED showing on the back for the PSU and the motherboard green LED is on and constant. I have removed the power cable and waited for the MB light to go out, plugged power cord back in and still nothing.  No recent changes to hardware, software or OS.  I'm thinking the PSU has enough power to activate the lights (PSU and MB) but not enough to actually boot.  Any suggestions would be helpful before I purchase another PSU for this PC.  Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@stvnford9

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand your desktop isn't turning on anymore,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Remove discs and devices before troubleshooting startup issues

Turn off the computer, remove any discs and USB devices, then remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, and similar devices. Remove or disconnect all discs and devices from the computer, except for the mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

After you have removed all discs and devices, turn on the computer. What happens?

• If the computer starts, reconnect devices one at a time and restart the computer to figure out which disc or device is causing the problem. You are done.

• If the computer still does not start and exhibits the same problem, press and hold the power button to turn off the computer. Do not connect anything and continue troubleshooting.

Step 2: Perform a hard reset

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset." Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. Turn off the computer completely; disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

2. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

3. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

• If the computer starts, you are done.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake -  thank you for your response and sorry for the delayed response.

Here is the information for my PC

Model - HPE-210f

Product # is BK169AA#ABA

I have made no hardware changes to the PC in over 3 months and this was just adding in an AMD FirePro  v3900.  All appropriate drivers were installed and the PC was running fine.

No recent (in the past 2 weeks) updates to the OS nor installation of software / updates or BIOS changes.

The PC was running without any issues and then one day when I came home it was off and would not power back on.

Following your guidance for step 1 -

I have disconnected all devices - including monitor and keyboard with no success on the PC powering on.

I connected just a monitor, keyboard and mouse and attempted to power the PC up - again.. nothing.

The PSU does have a green light so there is power going to the PSU.

The motherboard also has a green light (lower left corner of MB). So this tells me there is power going to the MB.

When I press the power button nothing is happening - no sound from the HDD, no fans spinning, etc.

I did pull off the front faceplate to ensure the power switch is indeed connected as well as verifying all power connections are firm and making good contact.

It looks as if the PSU has enough power to light the MB but not acutally boot the PC.

I am IT savy (been building custom PCs for over 15 years) so I'm game to try anything at this point.

Luckily this is my secondary PC so it's not a big loss but would like to get it back and operational.

HP Recommended

@stvnford9

Thank you for posting back. 

I understand you are in need of support, As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps

and the issue persists, this sounds like hardware related. And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.