4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Hard Disk Error (3F3)

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-079na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Im struggling to fix this error message and am looking for some help. Suddenly every time i turn on my computer i get a "Hard Disk Error" along with "Hard Disk 3 (3F3)" message asking me to run the System Diagnostic. I have run all of the system diagnostics related to the hard disk (some of which went on overnight) and all have passed but this message still appears every time i turn on the computer. I do have some external hard drives connected and i have tried booting the computer with and without these and again it does not have any effect.

If i don't run the system diagnostic and just exit and let the computer carry on booting it works absolutely fine. I have tried running some of the Windows diagnostic tools and they have not found anything either. Does anyone know what i can do to either fix this or stop it appearing? Any help would be really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 637 1,524
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Very strange error.

I would enter the BIOS. Then reset defaults.

Or remove/reseat the CR2023 MB battery to reset CMOS. Or replace this battery

Wild card option is the HDD is failing but HP diagnostics is indicating a false positive (the drive is good but it is failing).

Install Windows on a different known good HDD. Boot to the drive to see what happens.

Regards

0 Kudos
Scuba22
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for that, it's been a great help.

Good news and bad news i suppose. I did a reset and restarted the computer but the same error appeared (bad news) but this time when i ran the "Hard Drive Extensive test" i got the following results (good news that it finally found something):

Hard Drive SMART Test - Passed with 2 warnings

Hard Drive Short DST Test Check - Warning

Hard Drive Optimised DST Check - Passed

Hard Drive Long DST Check - Passed

I was hoping that the test log would give me an idea as to what the warnings are so i tried to save a copy of the log in a few places but i can't find them when i log into the computer. It also didn't give me a failure id as when i look at the log summary it shows a pass.

Is there anyway i can find out anymore information as it is still showing the same error every time i turn the computer on, asking me to run the same scan.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 637 1,524
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Any warning messages when using HP diagnostics means the HDD may be in trouble.

I would replace the HDD.

Regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation