Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive is giving the error code: 0GE38M-8Q5A3N-XD4CRF-60FW03 on start up. Running a hard disk scan from the provided menu only produces the same code. The message with the code reads "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure"

Failing Attribute: #B8

So I've saved the data as best I could just in case, but here's the thing; nothing seems to be wrong with the drive. It boots and runs without crashing. I do not hear any clicks or funny noises. I installed Crystal Disk and it shows the disk is healthy with no bad sectors or major errors. Booting in BIOS or UEFI only results in the same error screen as regularly turning the computer on.

How do I find out what is actually wrong with this drive? I'm capable of replacing the drive so I will do that if needed for cheaper than I could take this to a shop for a diagnostic. Is there some way to find out what this code means?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

All the code does is give the report of Hard Disk 1 SMART Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure, along with your PC's serial number.

Based on the serial number generated by the failure code, it tells me that you have a HP Pav 570-p014 DT PC.

You can find the service guide at the link below for how to replace the drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05292089

After you replace the drive...with another working Windows PC and a 32 gb USB flash drive, you can make a bootable recovery drive using the Cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link  for how to use the utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

As far as when you should replace the drive...it could run that way for days, or weeks, or it may not boot up the next time you turn on the PC.

So, make sure that you continue to back up any new files you add until you replace the drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.