Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P6-2335ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have completed a quick hard drive test and the Hard Disk Short DST failed,

Failure Id: 98EKU4-0007TB-X87T0K-60W803

A quick reply is kindly appreciated

Thanks

Model No. P6-2335ea

Product Id. c3T84EA#ABU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, if that is the case, it must be too late to consider waiting.  A new hard disk would seem to be in order.  Since the post says Windows 10, is that from the "free upgrade"?  If that is the case, then order a 1TB hard drive to replace the failed unit.  On restoring the OS, I have to assume some things

1) you do not have the Recovery DVD set to reinstall Windows 8, as it was

2) you do not really want to reinstall Windows 8, either, on the new hard drive

3)  If you have access to a working computer and can make the windows 10 Media Creation dvd from the M$ site, you might be able to reinstall Windows 10 using that.  Of course, any other software that was installed on the old drive before it failed will be lost unless you have all the necessary info to reinstall that, too.

Considering the computer will not boot, I have to assume the worst condition for the drive.  It might not be totally hosed and important data cannot be retrieved, but do not count on that.

Let me know how things go after the drive is replaced.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Short DST failed - means that the SMART testing routine has found a problem with the hard drive.  If you were prompted to run this test for an error or just happened to run it for curiosity, it does not really matter. HERE IS A GUIDE for the testing routine.

In short - it means the software has predicted the drive will fail and it need to be replaced soon.  Preferably while you can still save the data to a backup.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

I was doing the test as I unable to boot up the computer, it spends about ten minutes on the hp logo then does automatic repair and it cannot repair itself, it take also around ten minutes on the diagnosing repair.

any help is appreciated

HP Recommended

Well, if that is the case, it must be too late to consider waiting.  A new hard disk would seem to be in order.  Since the post says Windows 10, is that from the "free upgrade"?  If that is the case, then order a 1TB hard drive to replace the failed unit.  On restoring the OS, I have to assume some things

1) you do not have the Recovery DVD set to reinstall Windows 8, as it was

2) you do not really want to reinstall Windows 8, either, on the new hard drive

3)  If you have access to a working computer and can make the windows 10 Media Creation dvd from the M$ site, you might be able to reinstall Windows 10 using that.  Of course, any other software that was installed on the old drive before it failed will be lost unless you have all the necessary info to reinstall that, too.

Considering the computer will not boot, I have to assume the worst condition for the drive.  It might not be totally hosed and important data cannot be retrieved, but do not count on that.

Let me know how things go after the drive is replaced.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

I will order a new hard drive, will it automatically know my windows product key as it is a Oem operating system and install windows, also will it be easier to install windows 8 then update to windows 10 as if so I can do that. 

Thanks for all the help TheOldMan as I'm still a student it does not have important data other than a few photos, I will message you the result

Thanks,

Sniperhamster182

HP Recommended

In response to the question "will it be easier to install windows 8 then update to windows 10"  That would be easy IF you have the Recovery Disk set.  If that is the case, then do it that way.  If the Recovery disk set was not made, then it will probably be best to make the Windows 10 Media and install it that way.  Assuming changing the hard drive does not make a significant change to the system, then it should know the Windows 10 key when you reinstall.  However, I have not actually experimented or know of anyone that did after a hard drive failure.  From what I have read, installing Windows 10 from the Media Creation tool after the free upgrade has been done successfully, will result in an activated Windows 10 install on the same hardware.  Replacing the hard drive is not supposed to invalidate the install.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Okay,

I have ordered a hard drive hoping to be delivered Thursday and will inform you the results then, I will install it onto a USB as I have not created a recovery disk. Thanks for all your help

HP Recommended

Also, the Hard Disk Short DST test runs to 99% then failed.  How can I try to repair the hard disk without booting the PC?

Or can I re-install Windows 8/10 to fix this?

HP Recommended

well, I opened it up and vacuumed itout. I wiggled allthe plugs and tried to boot from the cd. Not sure what happened but it booted into windows 8.1 and is now scanning and repairing drice C. wish me luck.

p.s. I am so frazzled by having to type on this tablet keyboard that I am contemplating chucking it in the river when my PC is fixed. it will be floating against the Keokuk, Iowa dam by this evening.

HP Recommended

Even if it manages to repair the Windows enough to start, the Hard Disk Short DST means that the hard drive is going to fail.  If you have made the Recovery Media disk set or flash drive, then great but replace the hard drive.  If you have not made the Recovery Disk Set, do it NOW, because when the hard drive fails for good, you will need them.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.