Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24-r019 All-in-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting 3 long/3 short tones on Boot.  "The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from graphics initialization." 

I went to update some of the software from HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-r019 Software and drivers page.   I downloaded about 8 different updates then started to install them.  I have done this many times over the years.  1st I updated BIOS then rebooted, no issue.  Then I updated 2 or 3 others, I can not remember which ones (and I have not tired to recover the files from the drive) but I think it one was Scalar Firmware Update another with the Video or Sound.  (During one of the reboots  I did see sometime about the ME?? - it could have been after the BIOS not sure )  Shortly thereafter during the process of the installing Windows Defender popped up and said there was a serious threat do you want to reboot.  I choose Yes.  It rebooted and that was it. 

I have a few questions:

1.  Is this motherboard toast? If not what process can I use to fix.

2.  I am furious with HP.  Why am I getting a windows defender issue with something I download from them.

3. Should we expect some level of support for a product that is out of warranty?  Isn't think the more environmental way of thinking? 

I have kids and during the process the kids I was not fully focused on the computer.  My 8 year old daughter felt so bad/ she felt It was her fault.  I calmly as I could assured her that it was not her fault it was HP's fault.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Can you add-in a PCI-E graphics adapter, to supersede the "default" graphics adapter?

After two consecutive "failed" attempts to start Windows, the next start should cause the "Preparing Automatic Repair".

One of those "repair" options is to use "System Restore" to use a "checkpoint" file that was created when Windows was working correctly, and to "time-warp" Windows back to that date/time when it was OK.

HP Recommended

That is good thinking, I did consider too but there are no card slots in an All-in-one.

Thanks but not going to work.  I will NEVER buy another HP.  And I am surprised that people are helping each other here!  Do all of these IT computer companies need our charity to support each other?  They want us to just throw it away when the warranty expires!  It is Good for the Economic environment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.