Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-214 PC desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought a second hp envy 700-214 desktop pc. This one had win. 10. Had everything ready to install win. 7 . New hdd, dvd. It seems that whatever was done to this pc, it was made to not allow me to get win. 7 installed. I finally went in to bios & changed settings. Now, when I boot on I get 5 beeps & no display. I removed ram, battery, graphics card, all at different stages trying to diagnose what the problem was. I finally realized that the bios changes were the issue.

On these motherboards, I cannot find a cmos, bios reset or clear anywhere. There is a bios config. tucked in a very hard to reach area,but there are no pins or jumper? I found cmos power with the jumper. I tried resetting that way. No luck. I've interchanged my ram, & graphics from my other hp-envy. Nothing works. Now, I'm going to take battery out completely & reboot, If that doesn't work, I'm going to try exchanging battery from other pc.

Help, lol

I realize not many people care anymore about win. 7 or older pc's, but, I have all the updated stuff. I just want to keep this, as this was the easiest & best for my everyday use. And win. 10 doesn't have the option to transfer. I actually detest win. 10.

Now, support for me will stop soon everywhere. Safe to say I'm fairly disgusted & know I'm not alone.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Five beep BIOS error messages all refer to a system board problem (Link). Sorry, your PC is circa 2014. Five beeps can also refer to memory modules.

Yes, pull the CR2032 MB battery and let the PC sit for about 15 minutes. This should reset CMOS to factory defaults.

It does not hurt to install a new CR2032 MB battery.

Also check, reseat the memory modules.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.