Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ENVY Desktop 700-402ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

HP ENVY Desktop 700-402ng with motherboard MS-7826 ver 1.0.
Bios revision KAI v80.23
Processor Intel Core i7-4790
Windows 10

I've got problems with the graphic card. Monitor flickered and then went definitively black. I ran the HP diagnostic test. The result was: "The test found a problem with the video memory. The adapter or the system board may need to be replaced."
GPU was AMD Radeon R9-270.
I bought a GPU ASUS GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti. Installed on the motherboard. Monitor went black as well but system diagnostic was clean. No errors.

A possible issue is that I should first disable the old GPU drivers and install the new ones before installing the new GPU. I was searching the graphic card options in my BIOS but I couldn't find them. The BIOS Setup starts in UEFI Secure Boot mode with only a few menu items. I was told to deactivate the secure boot and activate the legacy support, in order to boot with the classic BIOS version and try to activate the onboard GPU. I can activate the legacy BIOS and deactivate the UEFI secure boot, but at the new boot it starts again in the same way, with no access to the CMOS settings. By the way the two DVI outputs from the onboard GPU are sealed with a black label with "Do not remove" on it. I've removed the labels and tried to connect the monitor via DVI-HDMI or DVI-VGA but nothing.

How can I access to the classic BIOS options, with all the device activation controls and not this UEFI interface with only a couple of options? I thought: if I can at least activate the onboard VGA, I could disable the old GPU drivers and install the new one. Is it possible to activate the onboard GPU in some way? Would the GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti be compatible with my motherboard or only particular kinds of GPU's do?

Thanks

Antonio

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the specs for your PC the  GTX 1050Ti should work just fine--especially with the BIOS set to legacy mode enabled/secure boot disabled.

Why it isn't working, that I do not know.

You should be able to remove the covers to the onboard video ports, and they should work as long as you have removed the graphics card from the PCIe x16 slot.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

In fact I removed the covers from the DVI output ports and connected with monitor with a DVI-HDMI cable (but also DVI-VGA). After boot, the screen remains black. Of course I removed the GPU from the PCI slot. It is like the onboard card is not activated.

I thought I could activate it via BIOS, but the UEFI Bios doesn't allow to set any device, just the boot sequence.

I read somewhere in this forum that when the  plastic covers are on the video ports is because they have been  disabled by the manufacturer due to the inclusion of a discrete GPU (as my damaged AMD Radeon R9-270 was). 

Basing on this assumption, I thought first to activate the onboard graphic card, but I am not able to manage it from UEFI BIOS.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only reason HP covers the onboard ports is if the PC came with a PCIe x16 graphics card.

That is simply to reduce the number of support calls they would get when someone connected a video cable to the onboard video port and called support to complain that there was no video.

The onboard graphics is automatically disabled in the BIOS when a PCIe x16 video card is added.

If the card is removed the onboard graphics is automatically enabled.

You don't need to change any BIOS settings to enable/disable the onboard graphics.

I suspect the motherboard has died on you.

HP Recommended

Good point. I also suspected it could be something more than just GPU. However the HP test of components gives me an error code only when the old GPU is on. When no GPU or new GPU is installed, the test is passed with no failures.

I can boot the PC, enter the UEFI BIOS, change the settings, open a terminal, access the troubleshoot, see the different startup settings, but as soon as I want to load W10, it goes black. Is it possible when the MB had died? 

HP Recommended

How can you do any of that when there is no graphics?

How do you see the display?

HP Recommended

You are right. The GPU must work when installed and the onboard card as well when no GPU is in the PCIe slot, otherwise I couldn't see the monitor at all. I was misled by the diagnosis response on the video memory, which gave me the error code:

GUXAW1-7H5A16-X87R6K-Q2XK03 on ID K2B25EA#ABD which means an error at the video memory.

With a new GPU or the onboard video card connected with the monitor, everything goes normal up to the HP logo and the selection of the OS. As soon the OS is chosen (W10 in my case) the monitor goes black.

May it be something totally different, like BIOS update or software update gone wrong?

I read a plenty of messages of people saying Windows won't start and monitor going black after HP logo appearing.

HP Recommended

OK...

So the next step is to clean install W10 and see if that works.

I'm thinking you have a graphics driver issue now, since the old graphics drivers are conflicting with whatever other graphics devices are trying to install.  You have a display, so I don't think the motherboard is bad.

Now, if you have to save any files on the PC, when you get to the part of the installation process where it asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' install it over the current Windows partition, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder, and copy any files you want to save onto a portable hard drive.

When you are sure you got everything you wanted, you can reinstall W10 but this time delete all partitions on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.  Click Next, and W10 should install.

You can make a bootable W10 installation flash drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-700-400-Desktop-PC-series/7161708

HP Recommended

Before to try a W10 clean install, I've tried the "refresh your PC" option of the troubleshoot. It didn't work.

My last try before re-install W10 was to do a system restore using a restore point recorded before the issue come out... and it worked!

The OS started immediately without any issue. The new GPU driver get installed and everything is fine.

I had a look to the Windows Update and the latest build 1909 of W10 (KB4532693, Feb. 2020) is now disabled.

I'm convinced now it caused the conflict with the graphics, as this WB was reported to cause several failures within a large number of users.

Do you suggest me anything I could do to protect the PC from now on?

Many thanks for your support.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to get everything running again.

There is only one utility that I know of that can block unwanted Windows updates and that is the hide windows update utility.

You can download that at the link below.  Use the one for v1607.  There isn't anything newer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

The hide update is permanent unless you run the utility again and uncheck the hide update box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.