Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Various Deskop & Laptop models
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, at my work, I've been tasked with creating scripts to configure and implement Wake-on-LAN (WoL).

Everything works, as long as the IP address stays in the ARP table.

However, no matter the settings, when I turn off a system, the NIC also shuts off, the network connection is lost,

and WoL fails as soon as the ARP table is refreshed. (every 2-5 minutes).

What do I need to configure to keep the embedded NIC awake?

It should be possible, as we utilize PoE for our VoIP phones.

And, yes, I do realize that I can configure most systems to "Boot on Power Loss" (the G4 Elitebooks do not have this setting).

However, this does not allow for a controlled restore should the building lose power, i.e. let's make sure all the routers, servers and switches are on-line before we turn on the PC's. (Even though they are on APC's for 30-40 minutes, let's just check first.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

So, I found what I have written will work on the same subnet with just the MAC address and a broadcast IP.

Don't really understand why that works, while the specific "last known" IP fails.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.