Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite Minitower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

Yesterday i bought 2 new 4GB ram sticks, i have 4 ram slots and the 2 are using 2GB ram sticks, so i have now 4 sticks.

But my problem is, ive installed the ram sticks to my pc now but when i boot my pc there will come the memory error blue screen and then it leave quickly. 

Then PC asks me to boot up normally or Repair windows, I dont have a windows repair CD so i start normally the same happens.

But i found out that i should change some RAM stuff at BIOS, i do that by pressing F10, but my BIOS is last updated Jul 14, 2011. So its really old and no new updates avaiable. 

Well... the problem is that my bios doesnt have options like changing voltage to ram etc... that other people have.

So i cant do anything.

Ive tried to use only the 4 GB sticks, same error.

It works normally with the old 2x 2GB sticks.

And i really want to use the 2x 4GB sticks because they are not really cheap : /

So does anyone know what should i do?

Also sorry for my bad english.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AlotProblems444, welcome to the forum.  Your English is fine.

Here is the Technical Reference Guide for the computer.  On Pages 32 & 33, Sections 3.3 & 3.3.1, you will find the information on the Memory Subsystem and Memory Upgrading.  Read all of the information carefully and it should help you solve your problem.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AlotProblems444, welcome to the forum.  Your English is fine.

Here is the Technical Reference Guide for the computer.  On Pages 32 & 33, Sections 3.3 & 3.3.1, you will find the information on the Memory Subsystem and Memory Upgrading.  Read all of the information carefully and it should help you solve your problem.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

> Yesterday i bought 2 new 4GB ram sticks, i have 4 ram slots and the 2 are using 2GB ram sticks, so i have now 4 sticks.

Remove the two 2GB sticks. 

Move the two 4GB sticks into the slots that were occupied by the two 2GB sticks.

Try to boot  it. 

Tell us what happens.

HP Recommended

I tried that but it didnt work, same problem.

But after alot of work i finally found what is wrong, it seems the computer doesnt work with my new ram sticks, because it needs DDR3 SO DIMM ram and i had a normal DDR3 ram, i went to that buy one like that  and it started work normally!

So the problem is that the ram was just not compactible with my motherboard.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

> it needs DDR3 SO DIMM ram and i had a normal DDR3 RAM.

I do not follow your statement.

The 'SO' is an abbreviation for "Small Outline".

Most desktop computers use "standard-dimensions" RAM.

Most laptop computers use "SO" RAM.

Some All-In-One computers (Apple & PC) also use "SO" RAM.

Note that RAM has different internal "speeds", e.g., '4200' or '5300' or '6400'.

You cannot put '4200' RAM into a motherboard that specifies that '5300' (or '6400') RAM is required.

You were correct in buying "faster" RAM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.