Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

How to backup BIOS before an update

HP Recommended
QW699AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I got a HP P7-1254 ref: ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/model... ). Awhile back, and I noticed the BIOS is out of date.  I was just wanting to know how I could back up the BIOS, or recover it if the update fails.  

Thank you!!

2 REPLIES 2
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,959 42,198 4,643 12,408
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortuntely, your 2011 model year desktop PC's motherboard has a legacy BIOS, unlike current (201- present) models which have a UEFI  BIOS.

That means recovery from a failed BIOS update will be hit-or-miss.

BIOS updates back then generally were successful, but recovery  from failure not so much.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
JIMG5
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can reset the BIOS by first turning off the computer. Then turn it on and immediately hold the windows button on your keyboard and the letter "B" at the same time for about a minute. You'll hear 8 beeps. Let go of the windows button and the letter B. in a few minutes you'll hear 8 beeps again and eventually you'll see a screen saying that your BIOS is going to be reset. Click ok or yes. It takes a minute or two....you'll see a progress bar. When it's finished, it will reboot. Good luck

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation