Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-023w Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Front and rear USB are disabled in the BIOS and pulling the battery does not clear it. I also  tried changing the jumper I thought would do it but after leaving it over night the bios seemed to require input but the USB keyboard could not be used.  I need to know,  if you can help me, how to clear the bios to get the usb back on so i can use the keyboard at boot time please. Thank you in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I find it amazing you run around  trolling Forums to tell people how to correct puntuation.

ANYWAY for anyone who runs across this issue and finds HP hugely lacking (sort of like their IDT drivers to allow me to use my sound card again) it was suprising easy.  And  I do think some one had said it but it was so plain sounding i may have over looked it. 

I plugged a keyboard  into the back lower set if that mattered turned the machine off unplugged it drained it by turning it on , green light off. Plugged it in held  the escape and F10 down solid and turned it on. It  appeared to me there is a fraction of a second when you can get in before the bios shuts you and the  USB down. i held there for about 5 secs  and let off and BAM was back in the bios turning  the USB back on. To easy almost like the  USB wasnt off but if you wait till you turn it on to push the  keyboard, to late. I hope this helps another idiot like me who forgets you need usb to use  your base system

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

When did your issue start?

Why do you suspect that the USB ports are disabled in the BIOS?

Why do you think that input was required after removing the battery and also using the CMOS jumper?

Perhaps the keyboard is bad?

Try a wired unpowered USB2 keyboard in the back USB2 port.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

>When did your issue start?

About three weeks ago.

>Why do you suspect that the USB ports are disabled in the BIOS?

Because I  disabled them.

>Why do you think that input was required after removing the battery and also using the CMOS jumper?

Because it  was a time needs to be set prompt

Keyboard is good.

Im actually working on trying to create a WMI solution .  Nothibng yet not sure the machine is supported.

Thank You.

HP Recommended

Hi,

"Because it  was a time needs to be set prompt"

What does that mean?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

lol When you boot up with say a  dead battery and it asks you to set  the time. Or tells you  it is not set.

HP Recommended

For your information i disabled the front and rear usb in the bios. Was testing a couple add in cards. Well when i rebooted without turning the internals back on i have no access to a keyboard untill the add in USB cards load a driver, SOOO i can not  use the  bios I can not  fresh install windows. that sort of stuff. Hope that clears it up  for ya.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Interesting response. lol

Read thru this thread.

BTW--I can pull the battery in my PC and I don't get a prompt to set time and date.  Not every BIOS will cause a prompt.

HP Recommended

Thank you for  a pointer but I am not password locked, i simply need to  ENABLE front and/or rear usb. I cant seem to find an HP WMI Provider that works with my machine so i can use  the  BiosConfigUtility64.exe utility and write a corrected bios.

Unable to connect to HP WMI namespace: 'root\HP'/

HP Recommended

Hi,

Perhaps booting a BIOS flash from CD might work.

HP Recommended

Great idea. This machine never got a bios update as far as I can tell so if someone knows where to get this bios in a flash setup i would be grateful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.