Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad that replacing the memory worked.

Now all you have to do is put the others in one at a time, and find the bad one.

It's probably only one bad memory module.

I recommend you stay with the discrete video card.

The onboard AMD GPU runs hot, and over time it could fail.

I believe you installed the video card just in time to save a motherboard replacement.

The fact that the display was fine after you installed the video card, leads me to believe that the memory was not causing the screen distortion, just the freezing.

HP Recommended

I'll definitely stick with the video card. Better safe than sorry. And, you're probably right, could have been two issues ... weird coincidence. Funny thing is, I tried to talk to HP support. I knew the PC was out of warranty so they wouldn't help, but I was hoping I could at least get them to tell me if there was another way to turn off secure boot. The guy was less than helpful, and downplayed my assertion that it might a graphics problem. (I told him I was open to other ideas, but all I knew to try right now.) Funny part was that he even told me that the "hardware wouldn't fail". I said, "Three days ago I probably would have agreed. I've rarely seen motherboards, video cards, etc. fail in the 20 years I've been building computers ... but here we are."

Also, never seem memory fail! 🙂 But here we are. 

HP Recommended

I may go back and rethink what I wrote...

Your PC has an APU, which means the graphics and processor are in one chip.

So, there isn't a separate onboard GPU like Intel PC's have.

Accordingly, it is possible the memory could have also caused the graphics issue, since the PC needs the onboard memory for the graphics to work.  If the APU was bad, most likely nothing would have worked.

In any event, adding a graphics card enhances graphics performance, frees up system memory, and has to certainly reduce the load placed on the APU.

I have had memory partially fail on a PC like you just did, so I knew that was a 'must' to check.

A friend gave me an old Dell Dimension 4700. 

She said it would just shut down randomly.

I went over the motherboard, looking for bad capacitors, and sure enough, there was one large capacitor with a bulging top.

An electronics tech friend of mine replaced the capacitor, and I assumed that would take care of the issue.   Nope.

So, I just decided to test the memory.  It only had two sticks.  I yanked one, and the PC ran for days just fine.

Then I put the chip I removed back in, and it shut down as it had in the past.  That convinced me for sure it was a flaky memory chip.

So, I replaced the bad chip and added two more for 4 GB, and the PC ran fine for years and years.

I donated it to good will and it was still running fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.