cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Typhoon95
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

How to make it so my PC won’t boot up from a external drive automatically?

HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I boot up with a external drive connected (USB powered and external powered) my computer won’t boot up and it just displays the HP logo.

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,636 32,536 2,958 7,269
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Typhoon95 

About the only thing that might work is going into the BIOS settings and changing the default drive order so the HDD (or SDD) is the first in the list.  If that works, the BIOS won't even see the external drive.

I say MIGHT work because I did that on an HP laptop with the same issue and it had no effect -- still tries to boot from any disk device is sees connected through USB.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Typhoon95
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried that, but it didn’t work.

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,636 32,536 2,958 7,269
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Typhoon95 

As I mentioned, I tried that and it did not work for me, either.  These newer PCs that automatically boot from USB sticks don't provide a convenient way to disable that function.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation