Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-C60
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After making changes to the BIOS to boot from a CD-Rom, the system no longer accepted the mouse or keyboard, from any  USB port after a reboot (it just boots into Windows with no working mouse or keyboard).
Moving the CMOS jumper to the reset position failed to remedy this problem as well as completely removing/replacing the battery in its socket.

Is it not possible with these motherboards to reset the CMOS/BIOS to it's defaults?  If it is possible, what secret magic trick or specialized hardware is required to do this task? 30 years servicing computers, and I'm stumped on this one! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Turns out, I did not have the battery out long enough. I removed it and went to do other things, then came back, popped it in and started it up. I was able to get back in the system. 
Thinking this may be a bug in the BIOS firmware, I downloaded and installed the latest revision.  So far, so good, though it's still not possible to boot from the DVD drive  (even with the security mode off - tried 5 different bootable CDs - no joy) - but I can now see the drive as a boot option (it was not one, before), so I went to a thumb drive.
I don't expect much from a $14 motherboard

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Beffydog

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

I ran into EXACTLY the same problem on two older HP Media Center PCs a few months ago.  Neither one could see or use USB-connected mice or keyboards anymore.

I asked for help here, and was directed to an HP page that showed how to reset the BIOS using the CMOS jumper.  I also replaced the CMOS batteries in both PCs.

Both of them worked then, for a while, but within a week, both of them failed.

In one case, I isolated it to the use of the HP keyboard.  When I reset the CMOS and used my $10 generic USB keyboard, it worked fine, for days.  But when I then reconnected the owner's HP keyboard, after a reboot, the problem returned.  I told them to go out and buy a $10 generic USB keyboard, they did, and the problem has not returned.

The other PC wasn't using an HP keyboard and, I got tired of resetting the BIOS every week, so I "retired" it.

I asked for addition help on these forums -- and did not get any, as I was told resetting the BIOS was the only "solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Turns out, I did not have the battery out long enough. I removed it and went to do other things, then came back, popped it in and started it up. I was able to get back in the system. 
Thinking this may be a bug in the BIOS firmware, I downloaded and installed the latest revision.  So far, so good, though it's still not possible to boot from the DVD drive  (even with the security mode off - tried 5 different bootable CDs - no joy) - but I can now see the drive as a boot option (it was not one, before), so I went to a thumb drive.
I don't expect much from a $14 motherboard

HP Recommended

Update:  After having more USB port troubles, the owner bought a different brand and got partial credit from the store for this model.

HP Recommended

try not to jump to conclusions.?

BIOS IS NOT BAD. please!

#1 is the 3vdc coin CELL IS weak.

over 3v ok, under 2.9v not ok.

14$ wonder board of some kind. ( VAST MADE)

that is correct,

learn that the COIN cell is diode blocked protected.  so when you turn the pc on , the main supplies dont blow the coin up to oblivion, boom, and flying metal... see? (IT NOT RECHARGEABLE AT ALL)

that means when you remove the coin,  it takes a long time to for the NVRAM to self discharge.

this is true and BY DESIGN ALL THAT.

one trick is to pull the power cord to the PSU and then push the power button and see the HUGE caps in the system now self discharge fast.  (A+ certifcation covers all this)

BTW< the BIOS is ok, but  the NVram can get glitched by working on any MOBO laking a ESD ground strap

you ever get a shock on a door knob?, now imagine that 2000v spark hitting the NVRAM.   (NOT GOOD and can wreck it)

yah bits can flip, need a demo, can do that.

DEAD CDs.

what CD not one stated. (name the exact media and who made it,  you burned in store bought)

WHAT OS, the DEAD XP that loves to not work with vast numbers of CD/DVD and BR drives?>

what drive, the drives old can not read 1/2 the disks made today.  some cant even read DVD-R>

I can go deeper in the onion or down the rabbit hole as far as you want.  I'm not HP.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

BIOS and resets all ways, the word RESET has many meanings, ILL LIST THEM ALL. 10years or newer.

1: ESC , see bios go in to BIOS see reset to factory state.. day 1 BIOS settings.

2: pull the coin cell with the PSU  power cord removed,  and all power dischaged, pushing the power button first.

wait one hour till the NV dischanges below 2vdc, this can take awile.  but most time not done right above.

3: using the windowskey +B  to burn your Current BIOS, to what was shipped day one on your HDD.

A: if the HDD is missing dead this is impossible.!

B: if you loaded a MS install , it kills dead the HP restore partitions making this reset DOA, impossible.

C: if a virus on HDD went wild,  bam, end of that, now. the restore fails are now infected and must not be use or is impossible to try.

😧 the HP web site  has  the BIOS files on all 10 year or newer PCs,  down load them ,  some times 10 files.

from old to new, and flash yours now.  do not mix up PC models or you will get the wrong files.

no newer PCs with EUFI once you burn the newest flash,  you can NOT GO BACK to older,  (by Design)

reset is not reflash nor is it BIOS regresson or any other things. truth be told.

but many do not understand it , nor its buddy Mr, NVRAM. (battery backed up NVRAM via coin cell)

The chips in your PC can also latch up,  (ill not explain how or why) but if you make all power dead in the PC

inside, 100% including the CMOS coin cell removed

the latch up can clear, most times latch up today is only caused by Lightening hits, or ESD zaps from poor service

or from your fingers to the key board, on a very DRY DAY, making sparks, there.

the PC protects from this but its never 100% fool proof.

then there are Cosmic rays, ill stop there....

CMOS means NVRAM CMOS + battery

CMOS has 3 power sources, 4 in laptop.

main PSU 5vdc, power (overides the coin voltage, )

main PSU and mobo caps charged up to 5vdc and is retained power off. for a while ( amazing retension)

and last MR, coin cell.

on a LT the main battery too. that holds the NVRAM. up.

THE NVram stores all your settings and HPs. too.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.