Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
model 24-g020 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

this belongs to  my aunt and she had an error that showed up "thermal shutdown" and the system tried a repair for a while.  It kept going on and off she told me.  I got it to my house and it powers up ( I hear fan) but nothing else.  I tried F1-, F2, escape with not response.  I have removed the case and the MB looks clean.  I can remove the small heat sink and re-apply thermal compound but wonder if I can check anything else?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@geno368 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are not getting the display and no boot caused by the thermal shutdown.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Hard Reset:

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Remove the Battery. ( not for Built-in Battery computer ) 

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer if it's a (removable battery)

6) Try to turn on the computer and check, If the issue persists continue next step

Set BIOS default and restart:

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

Please try to connect the external display and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the first suggestion already with same result.  No display at all so I cannot go into bios or diagnostics.  I dissembled the system and there is not any compound on the miniature heatsink.  No wonder it runs hot...

I then removed the hard drive and it was completely empty...The whole system is trashed I guess.  I also hooked it up to an hdmi monitor to test video...still nothing...all you get is fan running

HP Recommended

@geno368

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can contact a local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.