Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi everyone, please forgive me beforehand as I may not have enough information. I am trying to help my mom with her computer. It has been unplugged for over a year due to her moving situation and now when she powers it on it is asking for an Administrator password, we aren't able to sign in to the accounts that she created as the Administrator logo is the only thing that comes up, however, she never set a password for the administrator and we cannot get into the computer without this password. Is there a master password for all computers? All I know is she purchased the computer from Walmart, its an all in one white HP desktop serial # starts with BCC, I will try to get more information later if possible but my mom is elderly and it may be an issue. Any help is really appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JasFreeman -- if just pressing ENTER at the password prompt does not work, then the Rules of Participation for this discussion forum do not allow anybody to give you (or a computer technician) any advice on bypassing the password. Sorry.

HP Recommended

@JasFreeman 

There is no such thing as a "master password" -- because if there was, it would be on the Internet and no PC would be safe after that.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords due to HP Policy.
--------------------
To reset Admin passwords, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly for assistance.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Okay so we can get in but there’s just a black screen with the recycle bin box nothing else. No internet icons or anything and we can’t connect to the internet.

HP Recommended

We can press enter and it’ll take us to a all black screen with just the recycle bin and no applications.

HP Recommended

@JasFreeman -- can you use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to show a menu?

If so, click "log off". 

Does that display a screen showing several different user-names?

If so, can you click on any of those user-names, and successfully log in?

HP Recommended

If I press ctrl alt del the only thing it shows when signing/log off is the admin username no others and she previously had 2 others. 

HP Recommended

@JasFreeman -- the only thing it shows when signing/log off is the admin username no others and she previously had 2 others. 

I have had this happen to me.  The file-system on the disk-drive was corrupt, and Windows could not load the "profile" files for any of the accounts.  Windows did create a "temporary profile", with just the bare essentials, namely the icon for the Recycle Bin, and "basic black" wallpaper.

So, you have two options:

1. if you want to try to "recover" the inaccessible files, remove the disk-drive from the computer, and connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer. On that computer, download & install & run the free RECUVA software, targeting the secondary disk-drive. It will read every sector on the disk-drive, and will tell you which files can be "recovered" -- copied into a folder on the "C:" disk-drive. Good luck. After doing the above, reconnect the disk-drive to her computer, and ...
  2. Re-install Windows onto her computer, to make it usable.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.