Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have a Hp compaq 8000. Ever since we got the PC it always booted up weird but it still worked. I put a graphics card in it and it ran fine for a few days. I come back a couple months later and it's all finicky, it turns on for awhile then randomly shuts off but it would run eventually. I then took the graphics card out and left the PC. But a couple months later I came back and it worked fine and I was using it for hours. I needed a second screen so I put the graphics card in and went to grab a cable but when I got back it was turned off. I tried to start it and I get 4 red beeps, so I got a new 500w smart power supply and a adapter cable and it's still giving me the 4 beeps what can I do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

hi

Red Power LED flashes four times, once every second, followed by a two second pause. Beeps stop after fifth iteration but LEDs continue until problem is solved.

Power failure (power supply is overloaded).
OR
The incorrect external power supply adapter is being used on the USDT.

1. Open the hood and ensure the 4 or 6-wire power supply cable is seated into the connector on the system board.
  2. Check if a device is causing the problem by removing ALL attached devices (such as hard, diskette, or optical drives, and expansion cards). Power on the system. If the system enters the POST, then power off and replace one device at a time and repeat this procedure until failure occurs. Replace the device that is causing the failure. Continue adding devices one at a time to ensure all devices are functioning properly.
  3. Replace the power supply.
  4. Replace the system board.
OR
The USDT power supply adapter must be at 135W and use the Smart ID technology before the system will power up. Replace the power supply adapter with the HP-supplied USDT power supply adapter.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.