Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8300 Elite Small Frame Factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting 4 beeps and red lights when I attempt to boot. I have followed the advice for diagnosing the problem on the motherboard and have determined that it is caused by a drive being plugged in any of the three slots on the SATA Power cable. I have tried several different drives including a brand new SSD drive. I suspected the power supply, however everything else seems to be ok. I do have one old Seagate 500gb drive that doesn't work which, when plugged in the SATA power cable, allows the computer to boot to the BIOS or to the USB boot media I created to reinstall Windows 10 Pro.

What would be the next step? Replacing the SATA power cable? 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MrGroove -- what is the manufacturer of your SSD? Can you try a SSD from a different manufacturer?

Yes, trying a different SATA cable should be attempted -- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.