Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0100ax

I installed ssd and cloned the os to ssd. I wanted to change the boot preference to ssd. But in bios ssd is not recognized. So I booted through uefi and selected ssd to boot and cleared the os from hdd. Now when ever I turn on laptop. I have to manually select the internal hard drive option to boot it up. 

Is there a solution? Please help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The HP site seems to be missing some information about your 15-Ec0110ax

The specification for your system mentions a 5400 RPM hard drive but no SSD (m.2) slot

However, the Illustrated parts list not only the HDD #6 but an M.2 disk as #12

What is your Product ID  

Could you explain what your have?  Does you version have the SSD slot for a drive in addition to the HDD?

Only an HDD?

What tool did you use to clone?

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply, 

My laptop came with 1tb hdd. It has an extra slot so I installed nvme m. 2 ssd of 250 gb wdsn570. I used a software called DiskGenius for migrating OS. 

HP Recommended

I recently replace a 256 "dell" m.2 with 1tb WD SN570.  WD provides Acronis to do the clone.  I have never used DiskGenius but it seems to do a lot more than just the clone application free from WD.   I read briefly it can "migrate Windows OS to SSD"  Is lyour version of DiskGenius recent?

The WD Acronis version can clone proportionally from large to small but only if the all the data fan fit.  Can DiskGenius do that?

Some questions about how you used DiskGenius.

Did you clone the 1TB to the 250GB and manage to get all data in addition to the exact disk structure layout?

The 1TB partitions include hidden backup copy of BIOS and hidden restore copy of the OS.  Probably 3+ partitions on the 1TB

Does your disk manager (or msinfo.exe)  show the same 3 (or more) partitions on both drives?

Did you clone the drive or just migrate the OS?

Is there any reason other than your budget that caused you to use a 250gb instead of a 1TB  SN570 matching your HDD size?

Can you provide your product ID.  Possibly there is a cloud recovery procedure that might help.  There are 3 letters after the # character in the Product ID.

It would be convenient to have all the identical partitions (BIOS and recover OS) but it is not necessary.

What I suggest is to do a startup repair.  I assume you have windows 10 home and not 11 or "pro"

Use a 16gb (minimum) USB flash and download windows 10 media creation tool

Run the app and select "installation for another PC"  and use the USB flash drive

Turn off the laptop and remove the 1tb drive

Turn back on, press ESC, run one pass through diagnostics to verify all is ok.

See if it boots.  If not what error message?

Reboot with the USB flash and select "Repair your computer"

BeemerBiker_0-1664976725402.png

Do not install, just repair!

Report any problems with the repair.

If the repair succeeds then reboot after removing the USB

If the reboot fails "cannot find OS" then go into BIOS and select the windows boot manager under boot options.

I do not have your laptop so it would be useful to take a picture of the bios boot selections (entire screen) and post them here.

If the PC boots ok then put the 1TB back in   Run msinfo.exe and verify the SSD is the boot drive "C"

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.