Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion a6400f
Linux

I have 2008 HP pavilion a6400f desktop Intel processor E2200 works great, 32bit running Linux  OS (it couldn't handle windows anymore). I got a CPU Intel Q9550 64 bit as this web site HP says motherboard Benicia-GL8E is  upgradable to this. I put it in and only CPU fan runs and gets warm. NO Boot up cant even get to Bios page.  Put E2200 back in and everything is good. I want to add the Intel Q9550 to add more ram to 8 Gigs and I have a SSD to put in later. I already have a MSI R7 240 Graphic card which is doing me great. Just using Zoom etc. Not a big gamer. I have a gaming machine for Rocket league. LOL

I'm missing a step and Realize I need to add Linux 64bit OS at some point or at least i think I do. I'm very new at all this.

What steps do I need to be able to use the Intel Q9550 CPU?  (I've seen a suggestion to take out and then put back in the CMOS battery)

Thank you kindly for considering this. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to make sure you have the latest BIOS update installed, which was v5.43.

If you have an older version than that, let me know and I will zip up and attach the BIOS update file for you.

There is one catch...you must be running Windows Vista or Windows 7 in order to update the BIOS, since those are the only two operating systems that the BIOS update is supported to run on.

It cannot be run in DOS or Linux.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul , I appreciate your direction with the Bios update. I will look into going back to windows but Ive enjoyed Linux so far. hmmmm🤔.

Nice community.😃👍

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your PC has an older BIOS version, I have zipped up and attached the latest one below.

I agree with you that the processor you installed should have worked, so perhaps you need to install an updated BIOS.

If you already have that version installed, then something else is wrong, or the processor upgrade info isn't right.

Here are the instructions to update the BIOS:

Title: IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS Update

Version: 5.43

Description: IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS update improves system thermal performance and updates fan curve for processor support.

Purpose: Recommended

Category: BIOS

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Starter (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

Language(s):

Global English

Enhancement/Fixes:

- Improves system thermal performance.

- Updates fan curve for processor support.

- Resolves issue with the system appearing to hang during restart if an HP Personal Media Drive is connected.

- Resolves issue with the system hanging when 7GB of RAM is installed.

- Updates Hardware Diagnostic Tools to v4880.05.

Prerequisites:

- You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.

- You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows Vista operating system.

Installation Instructions:

1. Click the Download Only button.
  2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
  3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
  4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
  5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
  6. Follow on-screen instructions.
  7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

Copyright © 2010 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul ,  I don't have my original CD for Vista download brought PC new in 2008 and struggling to find a copy to install. Any suggestions? Your pain in the rear , Yours , Clive (jaffa406)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Clive.

Yes, I have an idea.

The goal is to update the BIOS, so here is what you can do...

Download the W7 Home Premium 32 or 64 bit ISO file from the link below--toward the bottom of the page.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive or DVD so that it is bootable, or you can use a different utility such as Rufus, or a DVD burning program that can burn ISO files.

If my memory serves me right, you have an option of entering a product key (which you don't have, or selecting 'skip').

Select skip, install W7, update the BIOS, cross your fingers that the BIOS update will now support the Quad core processor.

Then you can go back to Linux, since you would need a W7 Home product key to activate W7.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. So went thru the steps .Got it on USB thru Rufus. Installed my Q9550 Cpu that this was all about in the beginning and Bingo. Missed the boot sequence.  It has Bios 5.17v and all is well. CPU upgrade is fine didn't need to boot with Windows and Bios update. (Tried a few times but failed. Would just redirect to Linux 32 bit. My Error in not doing it right)  So went and put Linux Mint 20 on Cinnamon and I now have a 64 bit system on the 500 GB SSD. Boots as fast as my sons new computer.  Doesn't like some of my ram (2GB DDR sticks). I've been installing making sure its in proper. But i'm up to 6 Gb Ram without a crash, lol.

So Conclusion: I am as happy as a claim in water. Your steps and direction have been very helpful. I appreciate your patience with me . A month ago I didn't know half this jargon , so its been fun to learn and have a 2008 PC with SSD500GB, Upgrade E2200 to Q9550 CPU and some DDR added as well as a used Graphic card MSI R7 240 2GB all for about $130. I can do all I want, well except maybe rocket league. Zoom works great!

Paul I Just want to thank you and this very helpful community.

Not tech related . The only thing of value that I can offer: JW.org is a great web site. These are tough times. Stay safe and cough free.

Yours appreciatively Clive. 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime, Clive.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Glad that your Q9550 processor works now.

It is sometimes hard to get the right memory to work in some of the older PC's.

I have a HP dc7800 with the Intel series 3 chipset like your PC has, and I used 4 of these 2 GB memory modules to max out the PC to 8 GB.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F...

It's and oldie but a goodie.  With a 240 GB SSD, 8 GB of memory and an AMD Radeon HD 6570, it still runs great on W10 Pro.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.