cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Ian32uk
Level 2
25 9 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Intermittent fan noise during boot?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 260-a160na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I occasionally hear what sounds like a high powered blast from a fan when I press the power button to start up my HP Pavilion 260-a160na Desktop.

It has always done this every now & then since new a couple of years ago, and I have always assumed this quite normal, however, just recently it sounds slightly louder? The noise itself sounds slightly tinny, and I am trying to work out if it is the tower itself, or vibration travelling to the metal desk that it placed on?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, then I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,474 24,033 1,619 1,811
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ian32uk

Just the bios update is fine, the one with the latest version and date

let us know if that worked.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ian32uk

Welcome to HP support community.

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Ian32uk
Author
Level 2
25 9 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20,

Thank you for your reply.

I have started to follow your recommendations & have discovered another slight issue! Basically, I have just visited the HP support website in your link & let it detect my device, & so on, and it has listed a large number of drivers and updates including 3 updates for BIOS?

The thing is, I have HP support assistant installed, & regularly check for updates and it shows no drivers or updates available.

Should I install these BIOS, and if so, do I need install them in order, such as oldest first, or do I install the most current? My current BIOS are AMI F.30 03/11/2017. (Please see image below)

Many thanks again.

Ian.

HP Desktop.PNG

Ian32uk
Author
Level 2
25 9 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Having looked into these 3 BIOS updates further, I have since found out how to choose and install the correct one, & have now done so. 

I just need to work out whether I need any other software or driver updates from the many listed? Any tips on how to go about this?

Thanks again,

Ian.

sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ian32uk

Just the bios update is fine, the one with the latest version and date

let us know if that worked.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation