cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
GP38-2
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Is the SATA device a USB device and can not boot Windows 10?

HP Recommended
HP ProOne 440 G4 23.8-inch Non-Touch All-in-One Business PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a brand new owner of a HP ProOne 440 G4 23.8-inch Non-Touch All-in-One Business PC and just back into Windows after may years with Apple. Everything has changed and I am at absolute beginner level.

The HP ProOne has a 512GB SSD and an empty SATA connector. I attached a 2 TB SDD to the SATA conector, formatted it with a 0.5TB and a.1.5TB partitions and put some data on it. Looks fine.

The 0.5 TB partition should be a backup boot device and hold a mirror of the build in 512 GB SSD drive. Looks lice Macrium can be usefull.

Problem:

I looked in the BIOS setup and the 2TB SSD at the SATA connector is listed as a SATA at USB device. External USB devices are excluded from Windows boot. Should I proceed to clone the internal SSD to the SATA SSD or will it be a USB device from Windows point of view and any attempt to boot Windows must fail?

Update:

The clone worked fine but it is not used for booting. Where can I read someting about Windows boot manager and the requirements and procedure to make a partition booteable?

1 REPLY 1
GP38-2
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is of no relevace anymore. I returned the Windows PC to the online shop this morning and stick with my Apple environment.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation