cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GP38-2
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Is the SATA device a USB device and can not boot Windows 10?

HP Recommended
HP ProOne 440 G4 23.8-inch Non-Touch All-in-One Business PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a brand new owner of a HP ProOne 440 G4 23.8-inch Non-Touch All-in-One Business PC and just back into Windows after may years with Apple. Everything has changed and I am at absolute beginner level.

The HP ProOne has a 512GB SSD and an empty SATA connector. I attached a 2 TB SDD to the SATA conector, formatted it with a 0.5TB and a.1.5TB partitions and put some data on it. Looks fine.

The 0.5 TB partition should be a backup boot device and hold a mirror of the build in 512 GB SSD drive. Looks lice Macrium can be usefull.

Problem:

I looked in the BIOS setup and the 2TB SSD at the SATA connector is listed as a SATA at USB device. External USB devices are excluded from Windows boot. Should I proceed to clone the internal SSD to the SATA SSD or will it be a USB device from Windows point of view and any attempt to boot Windows must fail?

Update:

The clone worked fine but it is not used for booting. Where can I read someting about Windows boot manager and the requirements and procedure to make a partition booteable?

1 REPLY 1
GP38-2
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is of no relevace anymore. I returned the Windows PC to the online shop this morning and stick with my Apple environment.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation