Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
550-a114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I work for a company that the work platform requires booting thru an USB. USB formatted without a problem. To boot into USB, secure boot has to be disabled which it is.  BIOS mode is UEFI and tech support from company suggested using Legacy mode.  When I use F9, Boot device options, it shows the sandisk but when I select that to boot, it boots to Realtek PCIe family controller then says no boot disk detected or disk has failed.  I have tried to disable UEFI and enable Legacy but that did not work. 

I was able to boot into it from my laptop, which is a HP as well, and have no problems.  I would like to use my desktop for work. I have spent 5 days on this to get it fixed.  Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@srg6306 

I don't understand what you are doing.  You said your company requires booting a PC from a USB stick -- which supposedly, they supply.  But then, you said you formatted the USB stick.

Your PC came with Windows preloaded in UEFI mode, so what your company needs to do is provide you a USB stick formatted to boot in UEFI mode.

Given the source files for the stick, that would take 5 minutes or less to do using a common free formatting utility.

They need to wake up to realize that nearly every Win10 PC today uses UEFI mode by default, and format their devices accordingly.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

They sent a file to download to an USB.  The major problem is when I try to boot using F9 and select the USB, it automatically goes to Realtek.  How do I bypass Realtek so it boots into the USB.

HP Recommended

@srg6306 

That probably NOT what it is doing -- automatically going to RealTek.

The PC tried to boot from the first device it sees -- which is usually the internal drive. The default order of the boot devices can be seen in the UEFI boot settings.

If you insert a USB stick, and that is then set BEFORE the internal drive, the PC will attempt to boot from that.  If that fails, the PC will then proceed through the list of boot devices -- which you can see in the Boot Devices menu in the UEFI settings.

The order of those devices can be changes such that network booting (PXE boot) is moved higher in the list, so the PC will attempt to boot from that either first, or if the other boot devices fail.  This sounds like what your PC is doing -- because the USB stick is not bootable.

You can not simply copy a file to a USB stick and then boot from the stick; instead, the stick needs to be made a Bootable Medium and that requires copying boot files to it.

I have no idea what files your company sent for the boot USB stick, but you need to contact them and get specific instructions to use those files to create a "bootable USB stick in UEFI mode".  They insist you use it; they need to provide you instructions for creating it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.