Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 805 G6 Mini
Linux

I cannot find the Legacy Support option in the BIOS of this new machine we got recently. I have Secure boot and Intrusion detection all disabled, however the option that is seen in the following documentation under business notebooks and workstations as seen in older Elitedesk mini models does not exist in the newest machine.

BIOS build: S29 Ver. 02.01.00 09/08/2020

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04784866

Here is what I see which is very different from documentation:

20210126_143436.jpg

Reason we want to enable Legacy support is because for some reason we are not able to PXE boot our Linux OS builds on this machine, upon selecting PXE boot in the menu the screen momentarily goes black and then suddenly back at the menu options screen. We also seem to be experiencing issues booting the linux install media from CD as well. Previous experience with the older 800 G5 usually meant to enable Legacy Support option but that seems to not exist anymore here.

Has HP discarded all support for Legacy boot options?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Our model has the ethernet port included as should be according to this model's specs.

So we were able to get our ethernet drive working finally. Turns out this particular model is so new that the ethernet drivers for this model is not updated into any of the CentOS 7 (the OS we wanted to install in the OP) install repositories (Not included as part of USB iso installation image) and we had to manually download the drivers on another machine of the same OS from the ethernet manufacturer driver portal and transfer by USB.

We received this device with no OS (came with FreeDOS) because we wanted to install our own and I guess that means this machine really came in bare-bones minimal. The issue of not being able to PXE boot seems to still exists even if network is resolved in the OS which is weird. But that's a different issue from the original post.

I will go ahead and mark this as solved that Legacy boot is by default enabled with secure boot disabled in the sense that we were able to install our OS from a bootable media which in this case was a USB drive instead of the normal USB CDROM drive (didn't work).

PXE Boot is still an issue though and it seems that is due to having no ethernet driver while in the BIOS or pre-OS phase of startup. Will probably submit a new ticket for this one if we wanted to order more of these units we don't want to repeat this kind of manual fix.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried "Clear Secure Boot Keys"? This could enable Legacy boot options.

I also don't see a Legacy Support option in your image.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have tried it and it doesn't improve the options:

20210126_153206.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Not familiar with the new HP BIOS.

There has to be a Legacy option in there somewhere.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello
try to see what matches here at the bottom of the document

Maintenance and Service Guide

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 195555.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Is that the official guide for the latest BIOS version? Is there another more up-to-date documentation?

I was trying to find those option at the bottom "Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable" but I can't seem to find it in any of the pages in the BIOS menu whether it be Secure Boot Configuration ( where it looks like this option should be located even in the documentation), Boot Option, HP Sure Boot.

This documentation doesn't tell us how to show those options we're looking for if they do reside under the Secure Boot Configuration tab.

Thanks

HP Recommended

it comes directly from the product page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitedesk-805-g6-desktop-mini-pc/35865688

Did you check all the menu, because I see it written at the beginning of the article: "setup advanced"
I assumed that it must therefore be in your advanced tab!
Now if there is nothing, sorry, I have no other documents to offer

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

So after a month of neglecting this project with other project we finally got back to this. We also just happen to try booting an installation through USB because when we tried to burn a new CD image it didn't allow for some reason and voila without any changes made we were able to install the new OS through USB. . . So I guess booting from a USB CDROM drive is now considered outdated?

We also found out after installation that there are no Ethernet drives that comes shipped with the device which could also explain why we couldn't get PXE boot to work which is a separate problem we will check.

All in all I guess this is working as intended since Secure Boot is unchecked making it a 1-button wonder to allow Legacy options such as USB booting that we saw.

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitedesk-805-g6-desktop-mini-pc/35865688/product-info

Ethernet (RJ-45)
Realtek RTL8111FP (standard)
Supports full-featured AMD DASH and hardware enforced KVM
note:
The term "10/100/1000" or "Gigabit" Ethernet indicates compatibility with IEEE standard 802.3ab for Gigabit Ethernet, and does not connote actual operating speed of 1 Gb/s. For high-speed transmission, connection to a Gigabit Ethernet server and network infrastructure is required.

(1) RJ-45 (network) connector (rear)

as for many models the Ethernet is integrated, you must have a connector as mentioned here
unless it is not the model you have in the end.
Where I have not understood your question

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Our model has the ethernet port included as should be according to this model's specs.

So we were able to get our ethernet drive working finally. Turns out this particular model is so new that the ethernet drivers for this model is not updated into any of the CentOS 7 (the OS we wanted to install in the OP) install repositories (Not included as part of USB iso installation image) and we had to manually download the drivers on another machine of the same OS from the ethernet manufacturer driver portal and transfer by USB.

We received this device with no OS (came with FreeDOS) because we wanted to install our own and I guess that means this machine really came in bare-bones minimal. The issue of not being able to PXE boot seems to still exists even if network is resolved in the OS which is weird. But that's a different issue from the original post.

I will go ahead and mark this as solved that Legacy boot is by default enabled with secure boot disabled in the sense that we were able to install our OS from a bootable media which in this case was a USB drive instead of the normal USB CDROM drive (didn't work).

PXE Boot is still an issue though and it seems that is due to having no ethernet driver while in the BIOS or pre-OS phase of startup. Will probably submit a new ticket for this one if we wanted to order more of these units we don't want to repeat this kind of manual fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.