Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 27s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have 2 ENVY 27 monitors connected to my system:

-display 1 (primary display) connected through display port input

-display 2 (secondary display) connected through hdmi 1 port input.

When I boot my pc, display 1 tells me that no cable is connected and windows boot menu is visible on display 2.

As soon as windows starts, windows screen (welcome and next) is correctly displayed on display 1 that is correctly recognised as screen n.1 and display 2 is correctly recognised as screen n.2.

Now, is there any way to have pc boot menu displayed on display 1 (connected via display port) instead of having it displayed on display 2 (connected via hdmi)?

I hope my poor english was clear enough.

Please, don't tell me to switch cables 🙂

Thanks a lot in advance for your interest in my problem.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is not possible to help you because you have not given any description of the hardware the Envy 27" displays are connected to.

On the system I am typing this on, I have three BenQ displays connected to an MSI Radeon RX 580 PCIe x16 video card. I do not have a display connection to the motherboard video outputs. I am using Windows 10 and AMD Eyefinity. Eyefinity allows me to set the default display

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry,

The 2 monitors are connected to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 video card through DisplayPort (the first) and HDMI port (the second).

Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD80, OS Windows 7x64.

No bios or videocard control to set default display.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Right-click on an empty place on the display to access the NVIDIA control panel. That is where you can set the main screen where the windows icon will reside.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your answer,

My problem is not where Windows main screen will reside. It resides correctly on monitor 1 (where I want it), the problem is that BEFORE Windows starts, monitor 1 remains black, and bios boot options and boot sequence are displayed on monitor 2.

Unfortunately Nvidia control panel has no option to set default monitor, so I'm askinng if there is something (other than switching cables) I can do.

Anyway in the next future I'm going to change my videocard and I hope to solve the problem.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I have never heard of a feature like you suggest existing in BIOS.

That is where it would have to reside to take effect before the Windows login screen.

That would be firmware, not software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.