Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Ms 7613
Hello. I recently decided to upgrade my cpu to an i7 870. However, i cannot get it to boot. I have updated bios to 5.15. I have tryed a different psu and tried with and without graphics card, still nothing. Boots every time with old cpu(i5 661). Decided to try different i7 870, still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings Lucas97,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

The MS-7613 supports i7-8xx processors. Try clearing CMOS (instructions included in previous link) or pulling the MB battery before installing the 870. Install a new MB battery while you are doing this.

You indicated you updated the BIOS. Is 5.15 the latest BIOS update for this motherboard? You have not provided an HP product number for the HP PC you are using. 

The i7-870 is a legacy processor. My guess is this processor was used in a different PC.

The i7-870 processor may be bad (very unusual, but it can happen) if the factory processor works and you have the latest BIOS installed for the MS-7613 motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended
I have cleared cmos and removed battery, still nothing. I have also tried 2 different processors witch makes me think they are fine. Is there no way to get a legacy processor to work? Thank for the help.
HP Recommended

Hi Lucas97,

You're very welcome.

The HP spec site (link in my first response) lists the 870 as compatible.

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version available from HP?

Are you connecting the four pin CPU power supply connector to the MB?

You tried two different 870s with no luck?

I have no idea why the system won't see either 870 but it sees the i5-661?

Regards

HP Recommended

I am attempting the a similar upgrade - from i3-550 to i7-870, 

my MS-7613  Iona GL8E motherboard lists the i7-870 processor as compatible for my p6730f Pavillion desktop.  Each time I install the i7-870, Win10 does not boot.

Are there jumpers on the m/b that need to be configured?    A tool from MSI indicates I have the latest BIOS available for theMS-7613 motherboard.  When I  re-install the i3-550, the system works fine.

here is some system info:

Model #: p6730f Product #: BV533AA#ABA Serial #: MXX11503QP Software Build #: 11NA1MRW606#SABA#DABA Service ID #: 120-211 PCBRAND: HP   Bios 6.16 3/18/2011   MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E)

HP Recommended

Greetings michael94526,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You should start a new thread for your specific problem.

There is a BIOS update for your PC when using Windows 7. The "fixes" don't mention adding additional processor support.

I don't know why you are also having this problem as HP Support has verified the i7-8xx series processors should work.

Try clearing CMOS as suggested in my previous post. Replace the CR2032 MB battery while you are doing this.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.