Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 300
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Desktop Will Not Boot Or Power On

My HP Desktop Will Not Boot Or Power On (Continued)

My apologies, but please reference the above links for the specifics of this problem; in the time since I opened the first question in September 2020 and reasked it in January 2021, both questions have been locked out for inactivity. I had to take time away from both topics due to a family emergency late last year, and I'm sorry to say that it did not end well. Regardless, I am back hoping to reach some kind of resolution this time around, and I will do my best to keep this particular topic alive without being locked out again.

I haven't had a chance to really look at the earlier topics in the last several months (understandably for personal reasons) and see whatever suggestions may have been offered in that time, but I'll try to do so relatively soon. Again, I went into deep specifics in the earlier threads, so feel free to look them over, or better yet, if an Administrator can merge these three topics into one thread, that would be a lot easier moving forward.

Thanks in advance,

ADonMartini_790

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Beating a dead horse comes to mind here.  I had a Tyan s2895 motherboard that I nursed for years, replacing several capacitors and once had to hot-swap the bios.  I finally gave up when one of the big chips popped open.

A complete working HP TouchSmart 300 goes for under 200 including shipping on ebay.

However, if you crave more punishment, you can tear it down and look for obvious problems

https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/bad-capacitor.html

If you see any PM me and I can give you tips on fixing that don't involve buying a de-soldering station.

Likewise PM me a picture if you see something strange.

If you do buy a used TouchSmart 300 then your existing ToujchSmart screen would be a spare part which is a plus.

I would not buy motherboard as the problem could be the CPU or the power supply

If you have a voltmeter, check for 5 and 12 volts.,  Maybe checking power supply should have been done first.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@BeemerBiker: heh if I can carry my hard drive's content into a new PC altogether, frankly that would be a lot easier than going through the rigmarole of actually fixing the issue. Again, sorry for the slow reply -- it is almost Christmas after all. Once I have some time, I'll take a look at the link you provided. Thanks for sparing some time for the recommendation, btw.

To everyone else, again, I'm sorry I can't go into a ton of detail all over again, but feel welcome to check out the earlier links (which have unfortunately been locked due to inactivity), and you all can get the relevant information on the problem I originally described. If you can get an idea of what may be the problem, or how to possibly correct it, preferably as easily as possible (even if it's having to do the whole "move-my-data-and-files-from-the-bad-computer-into-a-good-computer" thing I mentioned above), then please leave a reply. I'll get back to it once I can.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays (Merry Christmas tomorrow, for those celebrating)

ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

@BeemerBiker: oh I see why you included your link -- I guess you want me to open up the device and look for any abnormalities in the bowels of the machine. If I can, I'll get on that and take you up on that PM offer if I find something.

To everyone else, again, you're welcome to look at the links above in the OP to see the specifics of the problem -- sorry, but I was locked out of my earlier topics due to personal issues that kept me from keeping them active, so feel free to read them. If you can come up with some explanation as to why this happened, or better yet, how to correct it, please comment.

Thanks in advance,

ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

Sorry, everyone -- it's been a busy few weeks with inclement weather, so nothing new to report just yet. The offer's still open for any possible explanations or solutions to the problem I specified in the earlier version(s) of this thread, the links to which can be found in the OP up top.

I'll try to get back here soon enough w/ some new info if I find it.

Thanks in advance,

ADonMartini_790

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.