Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Media Center m7060n

4 years ago, we lost power on our HP Media Center PC.  I recently decided to attempt a recovery of the files.  After researching different ways to get it to turn on again, I discovered a solution that involves blowing a hair dryer into the power supply on the back of the computer......it worked!

But instead of connecting my external hard drive, to begin the process of recovering all of our old photos/files, I received a message on my monitor that states "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I did more research, and attempted the following solutions:  1) Re-set my "boot device priority" to ensure my hard drive was the "first boot device priority".  2) Opened up my computer to ensure all connections were clean and secure.  My next solution was going to be a "system recovery", but I'm afraid I will lose my files if I attempt it.

Does anyone have any other solutions, or opinions as to what may be going on?  After successfully getting it to power on again, I can not see anything on my monitor except for this message.  I'm sorry, I can't remember which version of Windows we were running at the time it stopped working.  If it's not possible to get this old computer running again, is there a good option for pulling the files straight from the hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the files are still on the hard drive, then best way to retrieve them would be with another PC that works.  Use a USB  to SATA/IDE adapter to connect the hard drive to a working PC.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encod...

That will power the drive independent from the USB power and if the files are intact, then you can move them to a different media, IE: DVD, flash drive or another hard drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If the files are still on the hard drive, then best way to retrieve them would be with another PC that works.  Use a USB  to SATA/IDE adapter to connect the hard drive to a working PC.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encod...

That will power the drive independent from the USB power and if the files are intact, then you can move them to a different media, IE: DVD, flash drive or another hard drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi @kampy1975,

First you might try resetting the boot order to default settings in BIOS.

Given the error you're getting and the solutions you've tried, there's a chance your hard drive might be bad. If you want to spend a little money and try to recover your files just in case the drive is still good, you could buy an external hard drive enclosure. They're not very expensive, $10-20 I think. Pop out the hard drive, put it in the case and connect to another computer via USB to copy over your files. I did this with my parents' old desktop computer that would no longer boot up, and with a friend's laptop that was totally dead, and it worked perfectly in both situations.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended
Thanks "the old man", I just purchased the device you suggested. Hopefully the HD is still good, and this plan will work.
HP Recommended
Peace Lily, thankyou. I hope the hard drive isn't bad. Based on the feedback I've gotten, I decided to attempt a recovery straight from the hard drive. It's a shame I couldn't get the PC going again, but as long as I can retrieve the old files I'll consider it a victory. Fingers crossed!
HP Recommended

Hi OldMan (Dean),

Yes, this was the exact statement. In fact, the entire statement when I ran a diagnosis was:
Boot failed, read verify error occurred at sector 8325120 (Reason: Uncorretable Data Error) 
Linear verify failed, SMART Self-Test Short failed. I was hoping to use the USB to SATA adapter to retrieve my files.

I tried to respond earlier, message box full. Hopefully this message will take.

HBunn
HP Recommended

That does not bring much hope to the situation.  Go ahead and try to use the method described in this thread to retrieve any data.  The hard drive has failed.  Whether it will allow any data extraction is questionable.

If that does not yield any files then the last ditch effort would be to try a non-Windows OS to attempt file retrieval.  Boot the hosting PC into a  Linux Live CD.  That is what I normally use to make the attempt.  Ubuntu or Knoppix are good choices.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

OldMan (Dean), Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I will try the first and if not successful then I will try the Linux. I am hopeful that something works. 

HBunn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.