Level 1
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVMe PCIe M.2

Z220 CMT Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this question has been asked a ton of times, but those questions/answers seem to go to system I guess before or after mine.  So now I hope who ever reads this knows that I'm asking about the Z220 CMT workstation.  Santa Clause has informed me that I have been a very good boy this year, and that has asked what I would like to have.  So I told him about this outstanding computer that I got early (wife's desktop died), and this was in my price range.  So I would like to know if I can add a NVMe PCIe M.2 card to boot from.  I've enclosed two links, This is the adapter:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CJ139/ref=ox_sc_act_title_13?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

And this is the M2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGF54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE&psc=1

Can I use this, and will I be able to boot from it.  Currently, I'm using Windows 10 Pro, 64, Inclosed is a picture of the Computer Product name and number.  Computer ID.PNG Here is a picture of my CPU:  Cpu.PNG

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVMe PCIe M.2

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This question may have a good solution or a bad solution.

I don't see M.2 support on the motherboard (native NVME M.2 socket). This is usually required to boot to a M.2 NVME drive connected to a PCIe M.2 adapter. You need an adapter because you have no M.2 socket on the MB.

But your PC has the required UEFI BIOS. The latest UEFI BIOS update can be downloaded and installed from this HP Support site (Link).

I know the M.2 PCIe adapter will provide access to the M.2 NVME drive but don't know if you can boot to the drive. This means the Sabrent Rocket M.2 drive may be limited to a data drive.

Maybe a different forum member has first hand experience.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
4 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVMe PCIe M.2

Once I get the drive and adapter, I will post my results (after Christmas that is).  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVMe PCIe M.2

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Very curious to know if the new NVME drive is bootable.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation