Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 23-b010
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I purchased two HP Pavilion 23s, one for daily use, one for a backup, from a private vendor four years or so ago.  The on/off button on the back panel broke, and I had to swap out the back panels; replaced the broken back panel on the daily use computer with the back panel from the backup.  Ever since then, when I use the daily use computer, I constantly get a blue screen telling me to activate the system (Activation Screen).   I need another activation code.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Windows product key is in the PC's BIOS.

Run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below to change the old (installed) product key from the PC you swapped the motherboard on, to the current OEM key that is in the BIOS of the PC that needs to be activated.

HP Recommended

Hello again, Paul,.... I have re-read your reply, and I am somewhat confused.  To be truthful, I am not very tech-savvy when it comes to computers, but ZI give it my best shot.  The old computer, which now has the broken on/off button, was packed away.  Do I need to unpack it for any reason?  Am trying to remember, but I think I also swapped the hard drives as well; I think I did.  Again, I appreciate your assistance.   Paul B.

HP Recommended

Eureka,...I found the attachment.  Didn't see it at first.  Thanks. Paul B.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You don't have to do anything with the packed away PC.

When you swapped the drives, Windows detected a new motherboard and is now asking to be activated.

So all you need to do is to run that showkey plus utility.

It is going to show you an installed product key, and an OEM product key.

The OEM key is in the BIOS of the PC you are using now.

Print out the report and you can change the product key as shown in the video...

You want to change the installed product key shown in the report to the OEM product key in the report.

How to change the product activation key in Windows Blue 8.1 - YouTube

HP Recommended

Paul....I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance.  I will give it a shot and get back with you.  Have a good one and stay safe.  Paul B. (PB-in-Philly)

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You stay safe, and have a good day too!

HP Recommended

Hello, Paul,...  Had to step off for a while.  Well, I ran the utility, it generated the OEM key,...I popped it in and was told that the key could not be used with this system; wouldn't take it, even after two tries.  Maybe it is looking for the OEM from the other machine.  Thanks much.  Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Paul B. (PB-in-Philly)

HP Recommended

Even though this 8.1 system is not activated, can I upgrade to Windows 10 from an 8.1 that is not activated?  Paul B.

HP Recommended

Hi, Paul:

Sorry that didn't work, and I am surprised it didn't.

It must have something to do with what you indicated.

If you upgrade to W10, you would still have an inactivated installation, that is if it even let you upgrade from an inactivated system.

There are two other things you can try if you want. 

1. Factory reset the PC using the recovery manager.  It will reinstall W8 and then you can upgrade to W10 if W8 is activated.

2. Clean install W8.1 by using the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

Here is how to do that...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

At the beginning of the installation routine, you can delete every partition on there.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the generic product key, you will need to run the Showkey Plus app again.   Then see if the OEM key works this time.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from the  PC's support page.

HP Pavilion 23-b010 All-in-One Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Once you have an activated installation, you should be able to upgrade to W10 for free if you want, by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.