Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a4313w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an a4313w that just decided to take a sh1t out of the blue. I've tried HP recovery. It doesn't seem to be there. I've tried following the instructions on the error pages. No luck. It wants me in insert a windows installation disk to start a repair. I have no such disk. I am stuck toggling between two error pages; Windows Boot Manager and Windows Error Recovery (see photos). Can anyone help me, PLEASE? I've searched for recovery media, again, with no luck. I did run the HP diagnostic and everything checked out fine.screen 1.jpgscreen 2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LarryDem

Let me offer two alternatives -- both of which are free -- but both of which require a working PC to download files and your willingness to use that PC to create boot media.

1) Microsoft installation media

Download and create Windows boot media from this link: Windows 10 download 

Once you have that, boot your PC with it and run startup repair -- possibly up to three times:  Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums 

2 ) Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect (MR) is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (is disk or USN form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here:  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick

Boot your original PC from the USB stick.  It will take a few minutes, so you have to be patient. Could be 3 MINUTES or longer -- it's slow.  Once the screen is open, select the option to repair Windows, then select the drive containing the Windows boot record.  When this is done, reboot your PC and it should be OK.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@LarryDem

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

From your description, it sounds like either the Windows boot files got corrupted, or even worse, the hard drive has failed. 

My guess is that it is more likely, the second.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...

HP Startup Menu.jpg

3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

HP Recommended

I ran the SMART short test and it found no errors. Should I run the long test? It's saying that would take around 130 minutes.

And thanks.

HP Recommended

Ran the long test as well and no errors were detected. Also ran the HP F9 system check and all systems passed.

HP Recommended

OK. Got into my computer using a boot disk thumb drive created with Windows Boot Genius. The software says that BOOTMGR is missing. (And now the fun part) WBG wants 50 bucks to activate this "free" download in order to do the "repair". Really? What if it doesn't work? AAAGGGHHHH! So much for the free trial. 

HP Recommended

@LarryDem

Let me offer two alternatives -- both of which are free -- but both of which require a working PC to download files and your willingness to use that PC to create boot media.

1) Microsoft installation media

Download and create Windows boot media from this link: Windows 10 download 

Once you have that, boot your PC with it and run startup repair -- possibly up to three times:  Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums 

2 ) Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect (MR) is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (is disk or USN form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here:  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick

Boot your original PC from the USB stick.  It will take a few minutes, so you have to be patient. Could be 3 MINUTES or longer -- it's slow.  Once the screen is open, select the option to repair Windows, then select the drive containing the Windows boot record.  When this is done, reboot your PC and it should be OK.

HP Recommended

Thanks much to WAWood. Although I didn't use your exact instructions, I did pretty much as you stated. After several attempts with different combinations of programs, I was successful in getting a WIN7 iso and a burner to make the CD. (I was going to go with a USB stick but it wouldn't work that way) 

My computer is back to it's fussy, annoying self. Guess the next thing I need to do is replace the hard drive before it takes a complete crap. Any suggestions for a cheap, easy way to clone it? A lot of the program disks are long gone for a clean new install.

Funny thing: after I got it working I see that I had a copy of Macrium Reflect on it. Didn't have that on the computer I used to make the disk. Oh, well.

Thanks again to WAWood and the HP forums for getting me through this. Your help was greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.