Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Lktruong-  thanks,  If I come up with any further info,  I will post.  I'm going to try to contact HP support.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:   After spending hours on the phone with HP support updating everything and reinstalling windows, they asked me to return the PC under warranty and are now replacing the mother board and some other parts.   The problem was definitely a hardware problem, not a driver, software, or bios issue.

I hope to receive the repaired unit back soon.

HP Recommended

I, too, have an HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1177c purchased from Costco.  It randomly freezes up 2-5 times per day.  My experience is exactly what others have described.  The only way to unfreeze is a hard boot.   Has a recall been issued by HP?  Does HP acknowledge this as a known problem?   My problem is the cost to set up my computer with my work network, etc is substantial so replacing the computer (especially sending it away for 2 weeks) is not a great solution.  I am hoping they have a work around.

HP Recommended

I have been having the same freeze-lockups as many of you have, my problems started on or about 12/9, prior to that the system was awesome (HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1177c).  I am happy to report that I applied Windows Update KB4598291 on Friday morning and I have not had any problems since.  That makes about 48 hours and many sleep/wake cycles (about 20?) without any problems.  No freezes, shutdowns, etc.  Good luck folks, it was a long 5 weeks!

HP Recommended

This is my last post on this issue as I returned the computer to CostCo at the 120 day mark.

Per HP direct, they told me that since I exhausted the software rebuilding/troubleshooting efforts, to take it to an authorized HP service center, which I did. They did duplicate the problem, and their fix was to blow out the dust, and re-applied heat sink glue between cooling fin and CPU. They said it ran good for 5hrs and considered it fixed. I knew it wasnt fix and so did they. I asked them to document this, and their recommendation if it fails again. Their letter said they thought its a heating problem and would need to replace the motherboard, Cpu, and/or Nvidia. They told me HP is slow to respond and it could take 2 - 3 months to  get response and parts to see it fixed. They recommend I do whatever it takes to return it to CostCo. I then took it home and of course, it crashed again after 9 hours later.

I reset the PC to factory (to remove all my personal info and and Microsoft login info) then took it back. I showed CostCo my efforts (trouble ticket #’s with CostCo Consigner, HP direct) and also showed them the letter from the authorized HP service center. They said they will make a one time exception and took it back full refund.

Lastly, I have 40 years of experience in the computer/hi tech industry. 10 as a computer electronics tech, 10 more as a P.C. tech support engineer/manager, and then 10 yrs more with other tech stuff. When I was fixing motherboards, this type of problem was common when electronic components are marginal and/or get too hot. In my expert opinion, too much temperature sensitive hardware (I7 Intel, and NVidia card) is located within a tiny case with too few fans. I noticed Costco has a gamer PC with same hardware in a bigger chassis and a hell of a lot more fans front and back. Compare that to this HP (and the comparable Dell also their) and you can connect the dots and see the obvious issue. If they did not take back the P.C. I was either going to try to make it run cooler by either; remove the NVidia for a lesser card, maybe add more fans, or even drill bigger vent holes on the side panel. Fortunately, I don’t have to worry about this now. Good luck. Joe

HP Recommended

FYI, I have not experienced the freezing episodes for the last 3 weeks.  I don't know what the exact things that mitigated or resolved it. I've left the PC running over nights and used it during many hours. I am optimistic that the problem has been resolved.  I noticed that there were automatic updates on my machine before the problem went away. The following drivers updates were performed on my machine: 

• Intel System 2031.15.0.1743
  • Realtek - MEDIA - 1.1.142.3
  • Realtek 2024.0.10.219

After these updates, I noticed the problem started to go away. Since then, there have been a bunch of other automatic updates on Realtek, HP software on my machine.  So, my advice is to download all the updates to your machine, especially those updates mentioned above.

HP Recommended

Lktruong, thanks for your post on the driver updates for Intel and  Realtek media.  Unfortunately, I have already updated those drivers and the freezing continues.  It is 3-5 times each day.  

HP Recommended

Hey Guys

My system freezing issues have been resolved with the latest driver updates:

Realtek wireless lan driver for windows 10  2024.0.10.219

Realtek bluetooth driver 1.8.1030.3010

intel chipset 10.1.18383,8213

also my bios has been upgraded to f23

System is stable now (did heavy testing)

hope this helps

HP Recommended

Repelsteeltje - Thanks for letting us know. However, I have bad news.  I was confident that the problem was solved when I commented last time.  I had been using MS Edge browser (I uninstalled Chrome when I was troubleshooting at the first notice of the problem).  I was confident that the freezing problem was resolved because I didn't have any problems for a long time. So I went ahead and reinstall Chrome browser.  Right about after using Chrome browser for about 10 minutes, the PC froze.  The exact problem came back.  After a couple of hard re-booting, I un-installed Chrome, rebooted a couple of times.  The freezing episodes persisted.  I finally turned it off.  

So, I turned it on this morning. I was going to write about this to update you guys again.  it froze once more. Apparently, something is still wrong.  I wonder what Chrome did to my PC that re-started the whole thing.

Repelsteeltje - are you using Chrome browser on your machine?

HP - can you look into this please? 

HP Recommended

CFur - I was hopeful that the problem was resolved, but apparently not.  Are you using Chrome browser?  It seemed to me Chrome did something to my PC after I re-installed it and caused the problem to come back.  See my other comment.  

I just absolutely hate this.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.