Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE H8 1070T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a new graphics card a ASUS Geforce GT 1030 in my computer and it locks up at the start menu when I press the ESC it does nothing .My old graphics card is a NVidia Geforce GT 530 and works just fine .The tech. at micro center told me to update my BIOS to the 7.12 version and sent me the link to download .I downloaded and installed it but still doesn't work . Anyone know how to get it to work ? The support link does not list Windows 10 for to check for updates on Windows 10 . If thats even the problem might not be even compatable with my computer ? 480789_344911_03_front_thumbnail.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Luka81, welcome to the forum.

The problem is the BIOS.  The GT 1030 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  You can contact ASUS's Tech Support to see if they have a VBIOS update for the card that will allow it to run with both Legacy and UEFI.  If they tell you that it should work, ask them what to do.  I have seen many of the newer cards that won't work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@Luka81, welcome to the forum.

The problem is the BIOS.  The GT 1030 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  You can contact ASUS's Tech Support to see if they have a VBIOS update for the card that will allow it to run with both Legacy and UEFI.  If they tell you that it should work, ask them what to do.  I have seen many of the newer cards that won't work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks that is nice to know it wont work on my pc .I called asus support line for the graphics card and they didn't give me any reason why it would n't accept to mention there motherboards are diffent from HP computers and to call them .They acted like it was top secret or something .So no more asus products for me even though I bought a asus wifi modem a while back and cant return it . I think the techs at micro center need to pay atention to old vs. new stuff to and read up on it. They didn't have a clue why it wasn't compatable they told me to update my BIOS and that didn't do anything so they told me it was a bad graphics card if it didn't work. So I exchanged for another one and installed it the same thing happened so now it's going back to. After 2 days of driving back I am glad I now have a answer which no so called tech had any reason accept in this forum and glad we have this for referring to. 

HP Recommended

Do you think this one might work ? I called tech support and they said to call the motherboard manafacter which is who ? 04G-P3-2739-KR_XL_1.jpg

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Luka81.  Thank you for the additional information.

The sales associates at the retailers don't have the expertise to help you choose most components.  They are there to sell.  Whenever you have questions about a certain product it is best to contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.

I believe that you will have the same problem with the GT 730.  The last cards not to require UEFI in the motherboard were the GTX 660/670 series.  It can be a bit difficult finding them, however.  You should contact EVGA's Tech Support to see what they have to say.  I have always gotten good answers from them.

HP Recommended

They told me a GT 710 card woukld work take it home and it's a card for a mini tower system. I give up I'm better of buying a new computer mine was top of the line in 2011 .7 years I got out it time for a new one. THANKS for the help. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Luka81.

The way computer technology is changing, day by day, a 7 year old computer is like a dinosaur.  If you would like some assistance in choosing a new computer I would be glad to help.  I need to know how you use the computer; browsing, word processor, gaming, etc.

HP Recommended

I might wate until 2020 I read on the internet they changing to a new BIOS system again then .That's all I need to buy one now and find they changed it again and none of my stuff is compatible again. I found some chinese grafics cards that might work GTX 650 the BIOS version is 80.07 35 00 e3 and the UEFI box is not checked . do you think this one might work ? s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

@Luka81, it appears to be a long card.  You should measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to assure there is enough space for it to fit with good airflow.  Once you add a large card good airflow is important, even with the dual fans.  Also, you should check to find out how much power it requires to operate properly.  You had a choice of a 300W, 460W or 600W power supply unit (PSU) when you bought the computer.  If you chose the 300W PSU it may not be powerful enough.  The manufacturer's website should provide this information.  If all of these things are good, there is a good chance that the card will work.

HP Recommended

I talked to Nvidia tech support an he said a Geforce GT 730 will be compatible with a legacy BIOS .So I called EVGA tech support they they are not only UEFI ,but the tech at MSI said the GT 730 4MB would be compatible with a legacy BIOS . I guess I buy one unless you tell me otherwise ? Do you know what fermi means ? product_8_20180416142035_5ad440b3edaeb.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.