Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5713w Desktop
Hello, a few days I tried waking up my PC from sleep mode and neither keyboard/mouse worked. I held the power button (yellow light) and shut it off. After turning it on, instead of being a blue light, it turned on with the yellow sleep light. I unplugged the power for a day and turned it back on, and this time it was blue.

Ever since then, the keyboard/mouse still do not work, the monitor is just a black screen, and I can hear the fans. Another thing I noticed is the power button suddenly turns off when I turn the PC on. I have to press it a few times to get the blue light on.

-Can't use the keyboard/mouse therefore can't access any menu.
-Black screen on monitor.
-Power button sometimes shuts off suddenly when turning PC on, needing me to press it a few times.
-Occurred after sleep mode, was not downloading or doing anything.
-Fans are working.
-Unplugged the power cord and checked every cable on the monitor and PC.
-Removed side panel of the desktop and reinserted RAM sticks (3GB RAM altogether) and cleaned out some of the dust.
-Plugged to different power outlets to no avail.
-Used a different, functional keyboard/mouse to no avail.

I hope this isn't a software issue, as I have important data on there. I think it may be a hardware issue, I hope, due to the power button shutting off when I turn it on, but doesn't explain why the mouse/keyboard don't work or doesn't display anything on the monitor. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

The support page indicates that PC to be from  late 2010 and it came with Windows 7

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5700-desktop-pc-series/5035352/model/5059...

The first basic thing to do is unplug the PC and then unplug everything else.  Hold the power button in for 15-20 seconds.  Plug in the mouse and the keyboard and then the power cord and check the green light in the back to make sure it is on.  Then try to power the unit by pushing the power button again.  Recheck the green light in back to see if it is still lighted.

BTW: the data should still be there if the hard drive is still functioning, however users rarely backup the data until fear of losing it has happened.  There are ways to recover the data even if the PC never works again, so come back with news on how this is progressing and I will assist.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Hello, I did exactly what you stated there.

It took me 10+ tries to get the power button to fully turn on, as it kept turning off when I pressed it. When I got it to work, the monitor simply displays "DVI: no signal. VGA: no signal". The green light on the back is on.
HP Recommended

If you did the unplug and press the power button as described above, and it did not solve it, the next thing I do is make a linux Live CD on a working PC.  Disconnect the hard drive on this problem PC, put the Linux Live CD in the DVD/CD drive and try to power up again.  If you do not get a boot to the Linux, then the motherboard is bad.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Linux? Even though I have Windows 7? Okay, will try this. Also, when I press the power button, there is no beep present. IIRC, there's usually a beep each time my PC booted up before, I believe.
HP Recommended

Yes.  With the hard drive disconnected, it will not bother the Windows install but you will be able to test if the hardware will function.  I suspect that something else has happened, probably a hardware failure.  This will give me some additional data to evaluate that situation.

Here is a description on the "How To" for Linux Live"  https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-bootable-linux-live-cd/

The easiest to use is Knoppix or Ubuntu

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have a 4.7GB 2-disc DVD-R and a 700MB CD-R. Can I use any of these two? If so, I'll use the DVD-R one since it has more storage. Also, I'm confused on how to download them. I went to Knoppix because it seems much simpler but it states I need to download something via BitTorrent. I'll try to download it through Bit if that's the case, but can I just purchase a Linux CD if all else fails and run the tests you mentioned earlier? Thanks.

HP Recommended

The link I posted earlier did mention using BitToorent but it is available from sources without doing that. 

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/KNOPPIX-Live-DVD-2621.sh...

Scroll down to the download button.  Then pick English or German.

On that sight it says to use a DVD

Or I like Ubuntu, also a DVD

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the links. I downloaded the Ubunto ISO and burned it on the DVD-R. The ISO file split up to 12 files on the DVD: 10 file folders, 1 text document, and 1 DISKDEFINES file, which were all Files Currently on the Disc. The original .ISO was also on the disc and could not delete it, but it was on the Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc.

I slid the DVD in the PC and it was making noises as if it was functioning, but the screen remained black and the mouse/keyboard did not work. It turned off twice when I initially hit the power button, but once I got it to power on, it remained on. However, when I held on the power to turn it off, it turned immediately on when let go of the power. That also happened before sometimes. The fans are working fine. When I disassembled it to remove the HDD like you said, the PC was pretty dusty as well so I cleaned what was visible to me.

Not sure if this is relevant, but 2-3 years ago, my computer would freeze every time I booted it on. I had around 5 minutes to quickly do anything before it froze. It'd freeze for 30min-1hr, and I never found a solution. I thought it was Chrome since it'd give me a "Waiting for cache", and it was my main browser, but I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled but the freezing continued, even freezing on Firefox, Internet Explorer, everything. I couldn't access any song, any file, move my mouse until the time frame was over. Then it'd work although a bit slow, but it still functioned. Another thing is, around the morning hours between 2am-4am, the freezing would occur again. I got used to it that I'd do something else in the meantime up until my PC stopped working last month. I would remove the RAM sticks to clean them and blamed that since it was a mere 3GB Ram, cleaned the PC, etc but never got that freezing fixed. Even without the Ethernet cable plugged in, it'd still freeze up but when I plugged the Ethernet cord in, it'd worsen the freeze.

HP Recommended

Just to verify that the Ubuntu disk works as a boot disk, boot a working PC from the Ubuntu disk.  It will not do anything to the Windows install if you pick try instead of install on the menu.  The ISO file is what you burn to the DVD and it must be done as an ISO not just copy.  You might need to use a different software than Windows built in.  I use ImgBurn (free) but there is also CDBurnerXP (free)

A good, safe place to get either of those is Ninite

https://ninite.com/

The thing about the freezing could be either a software problem or a failing hardware.  Booting to the Linux disk and being able to use the computer will verify the hardware is OK.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.