Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 750-514
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, I got myself a new set of RAM sticks that I wanted to install.  After switching out the original pair of RAM I turned on my PC only for it to start beeping 3 long beeps followed by 2 short beeps.  My computer is properly connected to the monitor, but nothing appears.  After opening it, I realized that one of the RAM sticks wasn't inserted and locked properly.  I fixed the problem and tried to start it up agian only to have the same result.  I even tried getting completely newer RAM sticks to replace the ones I just bought just in case I somehow messed up the previous ones, but I still get the same thing happen.  It continuously beeps in this pattern for a few cycles until its just the LED power light flashing in a similar pattern.  From what I can understand, the beeping might allude to the problem being with the RAM placement, but I've made sure that I placed the ram correctly.  It's driving me nuts, man.  Any help?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

You get a LONG (MAJOR) signal category, RED LED &

then a SHORT (MINOR) signal category, WHITE LED.

Major – the category of the error; Minor – specific error in that category

The AUDIBLE repeats 5 times, and the VISUAL until power is removed.

Hardware

The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Indicates potential memory failure.

1 Reseat memory.

2 Correct memory configuration.

3 Test with known good memory.

4 Replace affected component.

HP Recommended

Thanks for answering!  Unfortunately, I've reseated the memory sticks with new and working ones, yet it is still making that sound.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.