Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion P6 2371
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have had this system for about 3 years but not switched it on for about 10 months when all was working fine. I get no beeps, no video output, the cpu and psu fans run, the hdd starts.

The system is as follows...

Pavillion P6 series 2371 desktop

Intel i5 2310

8Gb Ram

Onboard video with 2 DVi connections

Things I have tried so far...

I have tried different video cables....      no change

I have connected to 2 different monitors....      no change

I have installed 2 different PCI-e (16) video cards....     no change

I have disconnected the hdd and cd-rom at the motherboard end....   no change

I have reset the CMOS....     no change

I have removed both mem modules....     AhAhhh I got 5 long beeps (but then I would do because there is no memory)

I now know that the onboard buzzer works....

I replaced 1 of the memory modules....     no change

I swapped the memory in both slots....     no change

I have a second, almost identical system so I swapped the cpu into the known working system.... all was fine in the working system

I swapped the memory into the known working system....    all was fine in the working system.

So now i know that the cpu and memory are OK.

I swapped the cpu from the second system into the faulty system....     no change.

I currently have the motherboard removed from the chassis and setup on my desk with just the psu connected, a usb dongle for mouse and keyboard and the monitor connected to one of the onboard DVi ports. I have been through all of the above apart from the cpu and meme swaps from the second system....    still no change.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate hearing them. I am clean out.

I am thinking that maybe the motherboard is faulty but I would love to confirm it.

Thank you very much in advance......

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Very good troubleshooting technique. :ThumbUp:

It looks like the PSU may be the problem.

I don't think you have swapped in a known good PSU. I may have missed this if you did a swap.

The problem has been reduced to the PSU or the motherboard. But, have you tried onboard video, if available? You have onboard video, I missed that fact.

Again, very good troubleshooting. Are you a PC tech?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response. I had read somewhere yesterday that it might be the psu but have never experienced a problem where the psu is the cause so didnt know it was possible, I always assumed that the psu either worked or it didnt.

I have another system that i use daily that I can swap out the psu from for a test. if that doesnt work then it probably is the board.

Thanks for the remarks re my trouble shooting, yes I did work in IT for about 8 years, 3 of them on the tech support help desk for Time computers back in the late 90's. I am a joiner by trade but i still enjoy messing about with PC's. I would love to get back into IT but don't have any experience since 2003 apart from home use.

I will update my post when I have tried the swapped psu later this evening.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Get back to the forum with results.

You still have tech skills. You should use them to help others.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, I have tried the different psu and get no change. It seems to me that there is probably a fault with the MB as even with a seperate video card installed instead of the onboard output being used there is still no video output. The fan on the video adapter card is powered. I am stumped now.

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I would try onboard graphics for the heck of it.

Your PC has a UEFI BIOS. This BIOS uses Secure boot.

So the graphics card may not initialize if Secure boot is enabled. Secure boot is usually enabled by default on modern MBs.

BTW, you can get a refurbished replacement MB at Newegg (Link). Don't know where you are going with this but verify the MB if you decide to replace. EBay may also have this MB.

There is always a long shot the CPU is the problem. Very unusual but it does happen.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry but looking back I didnt make it crystal clear that i had tried both the onboard DVi ports. I have always used the system in the past with the onboard video. There are only the 2 DVi on the board, no d-sub or HDMI. I have tried several leads of various different configs, including DVI to VGA, on two different iiyama monitors.

I have just rebuilt the system in its original config and i plugged it in with the slim hope that it would have put itself right....no chance. 

I will keep looking around for any more info or suggestions and I will try and borrow another psu off a mate of mine, just in case.

Once again, thank you for your time and help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.