Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy All-in-One 27-b245se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I tell if the HP ENVY All-in-One (desktop) is turned on since there are no visible illuminated indicators?  Only a green light in the external power supply which is on (illuminated green) as long as the power supply is connected to a 120 VAC source, e.g., it is on all the time.  My real problem is with the Windows 10 sign-in process.  When the computer boots up, it displays the Windows 10 opening screen (lock screen ??) and then looks for a physical input (keyboard depression, mouse movement) which brings up the Windows 10 sign-in password prompt (what I see as the Microsoft Account sign-in).  If I do nothing after power on, the display screen goes completely blank after about a minute or two and I have no visual indication that the machine is turned on and that I've forgotten to go thru the Windows 10 sign-in process.  I would like to keep the display active while it is waiting for the Windows 10 sign-in password (which for me is now a numerical PIN input having been offered a short-cut during the OS installation process).  Of the four Windows 10 computers I own, three of which are HP desktops, the HP Envy is the only one that goes blank while waiting for the OS sign-in in addition to having NO visible indication that the computer is turned on.  My other desktops will bring up the screen saver after the requisite time out (user specified) which is also set on the HP ENVY.  The screen saver works fine but NOT during the power-on password process.  Depressing any keyboard key brings the display back to life so it isn't a problem other than having to remember that you turned the computer on.  One would think that there would be some power-on indication, e.g., lighting the ENVY logo at the bottom of the display bezel for the 27 inch touch screen display (LTM270DL11) with a NVIDIA graphics card. Such is NOT the case.  I have tried disabling the SATA Power Management option in the BIOS setup to keep the display active while waiting for the OS sign-in to be completed but changing this BIOS parameter doesn't keep the display from going blank while waiting for the power on password/PIN input.  Any suggestions how to provide some indication that the computer is turned on for the above scenarios?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Think I have a solution.  Amazon sells Mini USB LED lights.  Since almost all of the ENVY ports are on the back of the display base, plugging one of these mini USB LED lights into one of the unused USB ports which will illuminate only when the computer is ON.  It even adds a nice 'atmosphere' at the back of the computer and thus gives one a visual indication that the ENVY All-in-One is powered on without being a distraction.  Not sure what HP was thinking having the power switch at the back of the display base (you have to feel for the power switch since it is not visible unless you have your head at the back of the system) and not providing any power on indication to the user.

HP Recommended

@Ken_K5RG

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the interest - appreciated.  I went thru a remote session with HP Support on 8/29/2019 without any resolution to the power on concern - I think we both agreed it was a poor design issue.  The HP tech did resolve another issue with the HP Support Assistant regarding a failed device driver update since the first thing the HP tech did was to make sure the machine was up-to-date.  I had gone thru the HP Support Assistant update process just 24 hours earlier and ended up without an Intel HD Audio device driver.  Only resolution I had after extensive efforts to regain the device driver was to reimage the system from my Macrium backup sets.  We'll see if your redirection results in any better solution to the power on visual indication.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.