Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion s5310f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was working on my computer and the computer suddenly went off. I tried to turn it on again and I heard a quick click sound and then it never came back on. yesterday my computer fan was running on high and sounded like a car engine. what could be the cause of the computer not turning on? burnt power supply or motherboard failure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JabariHFan21 -- it works on another desktop.

That is good. However, the video-card in your computer could be "fried". Or, if it has integrated video, on the motherboard, you could try adding-in a video-card, to bypass that integrated video.

If you physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in a desktop computer, can you access your personal files? It, too, could be "fried".

> Do you happen to know what model motherboard I would need to get for this device?

Your computer dates from 2009, according to its web-site: 

HP Pavilion Slimline s5310f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

So, I recommend that you purchase a brand-new computer.  Check that the computer is "ready for Windows 11", because Windows 11 will become available in new PCs, probably around XMAS time. Today, new PCs should be "ready for Windows 11", by taking the free upgrade from factory-installed Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Yes, purchase a good power-bar, or, even better, a UPS, to protect this new computer.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JabariHFan21 -- what could be the cause of the computer not turning on?

> burnt power supply or motherboard failure?

Yes, to both.

It is easier, and much less expensive, to temporarily connect an alternate power-supply than it is to replace the motherboard. Also, your current copy of Windows is licensed to your current motherboard. Changing the motherboard will require you to purchase a new license for Windows. Expensive!

HP Recommended

I tried replacing the power supply and got the computer to start back up but I am now getting no power to the my mouse or my keyboard or to my monitor? What’s happening there?

HP Recommended

@JabariHFan21 --  I am now getting no power to the my mouse or my keyboard or to my monitor? What’s happening there?

Can you temporarily connect the monitor to a different desktop/notebook computer, to confirm that it still works?  

Can you temporarily connect the keyboard & mouse to a different desktop/notebook computer, to confirm that they still work?  

Getting no power to the USB ports is a sign that something is wrong with the motherboard.

It is possible that a "power surge" affected all your components (monitor, power-supply, and motherboard).  Ouch!

You should consider purchasing a power-bar with "surge protection", or even a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to protect any replacement components from the next surge.

HP Recommended

Yea I did that it works on another desktop. Do you happen to know what model motherboard I would need to get for this device?

HP Recommended

@JabariHFan21 -- it works on another desktop.

That is good. However, the video-card in your computer could be "fried". Or, if it has integrated video, on the motherboard, you could try adding-in a video-card, to bypass that integrated video.

If you physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in a desktop computer, can you access your personal files? It, too, could be "fried".

> Do you happen to know what model motherboard I would need to get for this device?

Your computer dates from 2009, according to its web-site: 

HP Pavilion Slimline s5310f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

So, I recommend that you purchase a brand-new computer.  Check that the computer is "ready for Windows 11", because Windows 11 will become available in new PCs, probably around XMAS time. Today, new PCs should be "ready for Windows 11", by taking the free upgrade from factory-installed Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Yes, purchase a good power-bar, or, even better, a UPS, to protect this new computer.

HP Recommended

@JabariHFan21 -- Do you happen to know what model motherboard I would need to get for this device?

I would NOT spend any money on a "vintage" computer (from 2009).

If you search on http://PartSurfer.HP.com  you will find description of each component in your computer.

Very likely, the part-number for the motherboard will show "N/A" -- no longer available for purchase from the HP warehouse.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.