Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p7-1414
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've been trying to update windows 8.1 completely so I can update to windows 10 I read on quite a few websites that if I disable secure boot it will allow me to successfully install some of windows 8.1 updates that I have been having issues with Well I've made it to the secure boot page in the boot system configuration but when I go to type in the password to confirm the changes it doesn't do anything thing it acts like it doesn't even recognize that I've typed the password. How do I disable secure boot why isn't the computer responding to the confirmation code? I've tried typing it slower and it didn't work either. 

20210821_163911.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unless you have already tried to update to W10 and it failed, I would just try updating the PC to W10 as is.

You can do that for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You may not be able to disable Secure Boot unless you enable Legacy mode first.

This document provides the whole procedure. 

You can skip the preliminary restore your PC to its original configuration section, as that is not applicable.

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Custome...

One thing you should be aware of, and that is sometimes if you enable legacy mode, you won't be able to boot into Windows, because the legacy boot structure is different than in UEFI mode.

So, if that happens, go back into the BIOS, and disable legacy mode and see if you can leave secure boot disabled until after you do the updates to W8.1 that you want to do.

HP Recommended

Tried updating to Windows10 as is and it just keeps erroring....So I read that sometimes it won't update if windows 8 1 isn't fully up to date. I will try enabling legacy first instead of trying f to enable legacy and disable secure boot at the same time. Brb

HP Recommended

So I've been trying the disable secure boot enable legacy support but the problem im having, like I said....Is that when I type in the 4 digit code and hit enter NOTHING HAPPENS.  *Rage* lol

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know why you can't disable secure boot when you enable legacy mode.

One other thing you can try to upgrade to W10, if you have not done so already...

Make a bootable USB installation flash drive with the media creation tool.

Do not boot from it.

Be in Windows, plug the flash drive in a USB port click on This PC or My PC (Whatever it is called in W8.1).

Then click on the flash drive to view the files.

Double click on the setup file and see if W10 will install that way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.