Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProOne 600 G5 21.5-in All-in-One Business PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If my PC has been idle for 15 minutes, it goes into sleep mode. It won't restart again by using either the mouse or the keyboard. I have to power down and restart. The HP Support Assistant gives me an error when I try to do a diagnostic saying "An error occurred while attempting to load the content you requested". 

The PC is less than 5 months old, so within warranty by some margin. Does anyone know how to fix these very irritating issues? It seems quite simple on the face of it, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Many thanks,

Russ V

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I see you have two disparate issues:

1. The PC sleeps after 15 minutes

2. The PC will not wake when using the mouse or keyboard. Does this suggest you must hit the power button to restart the PC?

1. Check Power Options in Control Panel. The settings may need to be changed to your desired settings.

2. The second problem is a bit muddy. You could have a driver problem,  or corrupt system files, or possibly failing hardware.

So check your PC's HP driver download site for newer hardware drivers. Also run the following stuff to check the integrity of  your operating system installation:

Use the Microsoft system File Checker (Link). Run DISM and a system file scan.

Then run HP Diagnostics (Link).

Start the PC, Tap "ESC", then select "F2".

Run System Tests to check hardware.

Reset the current BIOS to defaults and then check for a BIOS update for your PC. A BIOS update will reset BIOS defaults.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

I see you have two disparate issues:

1. The PC sleeps after 15 minutes

2. The PC will not wake when using the mouse or keyboard. Does this suggest you must hit the power button to restart the PC?

1. Check Power Options in Control Panel. The settings may need to be changed to your desired settings.

2. The second problem is a bit muddy. You could have a driver problem,  or corrupt system files, or possibly failing hardware.

So check your PC's HP driver download site for newer hardware drivers. Also run the following stuff to check the integrity of  your operating system installation:

Use the Microsoft system File Checker (Link). Run DISM and a system file scan.

Then run HP Diagnostics (Link).

Start the PC, Tap "ESC", then select "F2".

Run System Tests to check hardware.

Reset the current BIOS to defaults and then check for a BIOS update for your PC. A BIOS update will reset BIOS defaults.

Regards

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your advice with this.

I can tell you that running: sfc /scannow at the command prompt resulted in corrupt files being detected and then repaired successfully. 

I can now use my "Search" box and run the HP Support Assistant and I am also assuming that when my PC goes to sleep after however many minutes idle, it will wake up as normal instead of me having to power down and reboot every time.

Good work! Thanks again!

Russ V.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. However unable to download any HP diagnostic link. Microsoft link does work but couldn't find any violation. 

Problem remains 

HP Recommended

There is a slight caveat to my problem being resolved by the sfc /scannow solution, in that when I shut the pc down, it was stuck in the "...shutting down" loop, requiring me to eventually power off using the power switch.

Can you think of a reason why this would happen following what was apparently a successful detect, remove and restore operation?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Russ V.

HP Recommended

Hi Russibaby,

You're very welcome.

Sorry to hear this. I am pretty sure you can undo the "Solution" in this thread by clicking on the solution again.

There is a BIOS update for your PC at this (Link) with many fixes. Look in the "Fixes" section for details.

You may have to contact HP Support about this if: the BIOS update does not help, system files and drivers are good, and you have the latest HP drivers installed. 

You could have a hardware problem. HP Support may tell you to back up data and do a clean operating system install. I am not advising a clean OS installation; it is a lot of work and you will lose data if you don't back it up.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Should have included this warning about a failed BIOS update. I do BIOS updates all the time and have never had a problem but there is a risk.

Don't shut down the PC during a BIOS update. AC power loss during a BIOS update is not good.

Both conditions will break the motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS and then ran the sfc /scannow again and it seems to have worked properly this time.

I will keep an eye on things and let you know if anything else falls over subsequent to this reply.

Best regards,

Russ V.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.