Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-319na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My PC won't boot, when it turns on the hp loading symbol appears and then it just goes black.

I've reset cmos to get into bios and according to the recovery everyhting is working fine, but it still won't boot.

can anyone help me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dwking77 

when you went into the BIOS, did you also choose to apply the Default settings? Usually, those are what is needed.

The HP Logo is contained in the firmware of the motherboard so displaying it does not require using the hard drive extensively. But, if your PC boot process does not get beyond that, this could be an indication that the hard drive has died -- as it then would not be able to find or load the Windows boot files.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help;

I believe default settings were applied but just incase i set them back to default.

I tried the first method and it didnt work, i think my PC is too old, so i tried the method you provided and performed an extensiv e test on my hardrive and it passed all the tests so i belive it is still functional.

Do you have any sugguestions on what to do next?

I think my PC might have got a virus as my antivirus ran out shortly before it stopped working.

Thank you again for helping.

HP Recommended

@Dwking77 

OK, since the drive checks out, read the material below about rebuilding the boot loader files.

If your PC can not boot into Windows, a way around that is to follow the instructions below to create boot media from Macrium Reflect (MR) that can be used to rewrite/repair the boot media on your PC:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.