Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 700-327c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'll start with the specs as much as I can remember: HP Envy 700-327c, Windows 10 Pro, 16 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Intel Processor (not sure which model). I wish I could be more specific, but it's all I can think of at a moment as the computer is not right in front of me. So I will also say I do not possess a lot of knowledge in this subject, so bear with me. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on with the machine. I have looked through HP's troubleshooting, other troubleshooting guides on the internet, asked buddies, scoured through all the forums, and now I am here asking yall for some help if at all possible. I am having issues getting the computer to boot. I get power. The green light on the power supply is solid. The fans kick on. The HDD gives an audible noise at first, and then you can also feel it spinning. However, nothing as far as any lights on the front of the machine or beeps. It is also strange that the power button only turns it on but will not turn it off. The CPU fan stays on while the HDD still spins, but the system fan will shut down. I am hoping I can gain some insight from yall. I really appreciate any help you can provide. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bhirschi -- It is also strange that the power button only turns it on but will not turn it off.

If you hold-down the power button for 30 seconds, does the computer power off?

The HDD gives an audible noise at first, and then you can also feel it spinning. However, nothing 

Is it possible that the disk-drive is failing, namely not reading the Windows "start-up" files, for the motherboard to continue with the "Windows start-up" processing?

When you power-on the computer, is there an option to run the HP Hardware Diagnostics?

If so, run the "short DST" ("short" means a minute or two, and "Drive Status Test").

If it fails, do NOT run the "long" (many minutes) DST.

Instead, replace the disk-drive, and reinstall Windows.

You may be able to mount the current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, to allow you to copy your personal files from "old" to "new" disk-drive.

Note that you should consider buying a SSD, instead of a new "spinning" disk-drive, for better performance.

Perhaps, you should take your computer to a qualified computer technician.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.