Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8200 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First let me describe what is the good news from my point of view and I will EVENTUALLY end up saying what my problem is.

I have an 8200 desktop and I want to load Windows 10 onto it via a USB stick.
( The reason I need to do this is another story which I very much hope I will not have to tell. )

1. I did get Microsoft’s own ‘Media Creation Tool’ which takes an iso of Windows 10 and wraps software around it to do the loading.

2. I did use the Esc button when switching on the desktop to give me various options at boot time.

3. I did manage to change the boot priority so that the flash drive is now the first place to look for an OS
( despite there being no option as obvious as ‘USB Drive’. )

4. I did manage to get the Windows 10 logo and answer a few questions ( such as accepting a EULA ).

5. The problem arose when I got to the screen asking me to choose the partition where the OS should go.
I did choose the largest, obviously enough but each partition generated the same message :
something about the formatting of the partition being incorrect.

From what little else I know, I think this has something to do with the fact that I am loading via UEFI rather than BIOS,
in which case my question becomes :

how exactly do I ‘Enable BIOS’ in this context ? I have moved around the various options available here

including a Windows Command Prompt window. Would THAT help ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Fred371 

There are two different MODES for loading/installing Win10 -- UEFI and BIOS.  The first expects partitions to be formatted using GPT; the second expects them to be formatted using MBR.  These are not interchangeable.

HP PCs that come preloaded with Win10 use UEFI-GPT formatting not BIOS-MBR formatting.  So to reload the PS, you need to use the same mode and formatting.

IF you boot using UEFI mode installer and it sees MBR-formatted partitions, it will not install.  So if you are using a UEFI-GPT Win10 installer and it is complaining about the existing partitions, then Win10 must have been installed using BIOS-MBR.

You can address that by recreating the Win10 install media to use BIOS-MBR instead of UEFI.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fred371 

There are two different MODES for loading/installing Win10 -- UEFI and BIOS.  The first expects partitions to be formatted using GPT; the second expects them to be formatted using MBR.  These are not interchangeable.

HP PCs that come preloaded with Win10 use UEFI-GPT formatting not BIOS-MBR formatting.  So to reload the PS, you need to use the same mode and formatting.

IF you boot using UEFI mode installer and it sees MBR-formatted partitions, it will not install.  So if you are using a UEFI-GPT Win10 installer and it is complaining about the existing partitions, then Win10 must have been installed using BIOS-MBR.

You can address that by recreating the Win10 install media to use BIOS-MBR instead of UEFI.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

As I remember it  Windows Media Creation tool did NOT give  options  there.

Should I use something else such as Rufus ?

HP Recommended

• Since I made my previous post I have now seen YouTube videos discussing this very problem.

On the screen I have problems with hit Shift+F10 which opens a Windows Command Prompt window.

Key :

• DISKPART ;
    • list disk;
    • select disk 1 ( for instance ) ;
    • clean;
    • convert mbr

Do you agree ?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.