cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Fred371
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Partitions Wrong Format : use BIOS instead of UEFI ?

HP Recommended
8200 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First let me describe what is the good news from my point of view and I will EVENTUALLY end up saying what my problem is.

I have an 8200 desktop and I want to load Windows 10 onto it via a USB stick.
( The reason I need to do this is another story which I very much hope I will not have to tell. )

1. I did get Microsoft’s own ‘Media Creation Tool’ which takes an iso of Windows 10 and wraps software around it to do the loading.

2. I did use the Esc button when switching on the desktop to give me various options at boot time.

3. I did manage to change the boot priority so that the flash drive is now the first place to look for an OS
( despite there being no option as obvious as ‘USB Drive’. )

4. I did manage to get the Windows 10 logo and answer a few questions ( such as accepting a EULA ).

5. The problem arose when I got to the screen asking me to choose the partition where the OS should go.
I did choose the largest, obviously enough but each partition generated the same message :
something about the formatting of the partition being incorrect.

From what little else I know, I think this has something to do with the fact that I am loading via UEFI rather than BIOS,
in which case my question becomes :

how exactly do I ‘Enable BIOS’ in this context ? I have moved around the various options available here

including a Windows Command Prompt window. Would THAT help ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,613 27,046 3,123 6,762
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fred371 

There are two different MODES for loading/installing Win10 -- UEFI and BIOS.  The first expects partitions to be formatted using GPT; the second expects them to be formatted using MBR.  These are not interchangeable.

HP PCs that come preloaded with Win10 use UEFI-GPT formatting not BIOS-MBR formatting.  So to reload the PS, you need to use the same mode and formatting.

IF you boot using UEFI mode installer and it sees MBR-formatted partitions, it will not install.  So if you are using a UEFI-GPT Win10 installer and it is complaining about the existing partitions, then Win10 must have been installed using BIOS-MBR.

You can address that by recreating the Win10 install media to use BIOS-MBR instead of UEFI.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,613 27,046 3,123 6,762
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fred371 

There are two different MODES for loading/installing Win10 -- UEFI and BIOS.  The first expects partitions to be formatted using GPT; the second expects them to be formatted using MBR.  These are not interchangeable.

HP PCs that come preloaded with Win10 use UEFI-GPT formatting not BIOS-MBR formatting.  So to reload the PS, you need to use the same mode and formatting.

IF you boot using UEFI mode installer and it sees MBR-formatted partitions, it will not install.  So if you are using a UEFI-GPT Win10 installer and it is complaining about the existing partitions, then Win10 must have been installed using BIOS-MBR.

You can address that by recreating the Win10 install media to use BIOS-MBR instead of UEFI.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Fred371
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I remember it  Windows Media Creation tool did NOT give  options  there.

Should I use something else such as Rufus ?

Fred371
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

• Since I made my previous post I have now seen YouTube videos discussing this very problem.

On the screen I have problems with hit Shift+F10 which opens a Windows Command Prompt window.

Key :

• DISKPART ;
    • list disk;
    • select disk 1 ( for instance ) ;
    • clean;
    • convert mbr

Do you agree ?
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation