cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doc16743
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Pavilion 23 BIOS 8.09 - How to get to boot from CD?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife has the Pavilion 23 with BIOS 8.09. Totally different boot menu than my P6505. Want to set up so if the hard drive fails it will boot from CD. Only options listed are "Windows Boot Manager" and two "UEFIxxxx" entries.

How do I set it up so that a bootable CD (already created) is the option if the hard disk fails?

Thanks in advance!

Doc

5 REPLIES 5
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Assuming the already CD is actually bootable and in the CD drive, it should then show as a boot source from the menu that is already quoted.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Doc16743
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply OM! The CD shows up fine in Windows Explorer, but in the boot menu these are the options:

UEF Boot Sources

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI: IPV4 Realtek Ethernet Controller

UEFI: IPV6 Realtek Ethernet Controller

Legacy Boot Sources

Windows Boot Manager goes diretly to Windows.

UEFI: IPV4 Simply locks up (she's not connected wirelesly to the router)

UEFI:IPV6 we didn't try for the same reason

Legacy Boot Sources disn't lock up, but it did lay there like a lump and did nothing.

I'm out of ideas. The boot menu on my somewhat older HP lets me select HDD or CD-ROM, and also allows me to set the order they are  tried. Have to think I'm somehow getting into the wrong part of the BIOS.

Thanks

Doc

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would help enormously if you would try that "bootable CD" on that other older HP to see if that PC will actually boot to it.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
Doc16743
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now I'm embarassed. I did try the CD in my PC and discovered it was totally blank. Wife had "created" it using Macrium Reflect and no error codes or problems were noted when it was supposedly created.

Looks like I have to look at a potential problem with Reflect. Sorry to have not checked things in the right order!!

Thanks Again

Doc

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is a good thing actually.  At least found the problem.

I'm not an HP employee.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation