Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590 p0024 US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sporadically my mouse was going out to lunch, and the only recovery was to reboot.  This last time, the machine refused to boot up, reinstall, repair or anything else that is available to me under advanced setting.  I ran a chkdsk, and it did find a bad sector.  I am outside my warranty by 8 months.  I kind of expected the pc to last 4-5 years, so am very disappointed that not only is this dead after 1 1/12 years, but I can only get my files off by copying them to a cd or dvd.  Is there any recovery?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Presumably, your disk-drive is the only failing component of your PC.

Any computer-store can sell you a replacement disk-drive, and connect it as a "primary" disk-drive, while keeping your current disk-drive connected as a "secondary" disk-drive.

Because Windows 10 was installed and activated on your computer, you have full rights to reinstall Windows 10, at no cost, onto the new disk-drive.

Then, you should be able to copy all your files (but not the programs that you installed) from the "old" disk-drive to the "new" disk-drive.

HP Recommended

I ended up buying a new pc (not HP!).  With the mouse being flaky for no reason I couldn't trust the machine.  Once I had a new machine, I was able to create a boot thumb drive and rebuild the system.  I now use it with my tv... though I don't do much with it at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.